Unending cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started my brand new tank on 2/27 and added some zebra danio for the fish-in cycle.
All was well early on, ammonia slowly built up, I've been doing water changes.

My water has been reading 0.5 ppm ammonia, nitrate 5, nitrite 0, for the last 3 wks. Ph initially was high around 8.2 now it's 7.8. I have yet to register any nitrites. The fish are very happy.

Am I just being impatient? When I do a water change should I suck up the gravel or let it go to build up BB. I've been doing about 5-10 gal water changes every other day to keep the ammonia low, it this too much/ too little?

What size tank? If it's a large tank, it'll take longer to cycle with just a few danios due to the dilution by the water volume.
Also what test kit are you using? Strips aren't very accurate.
I would think by now you should be either cycled or seeing nitrites. Have you done anything to the tank, removed anything or changed filters, etc? What filter are you running? Are you using dechlorinator when changing water? What kind?
Also have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not it's a good idea to do so to see what you're starting with (e.g. the ammonia and/or nitrate could be coming from the tap).
I would clean the gravel, yes. Most of the bacteria will grow on the filters. The gravel can trap food and waste which can cause water quality issues.

20gal high with Aqueon 20 filter that came with the aquarium kit. I use API master test kit. I have well water with no nitrates or ammonia. I use nutrafin cycle with water changes.

To be clear you are getting nitrates but no nitrites? You should get nitrites before nitrates. So if you are getting nitrates then you are well on your way to being cycled. The first bb converts ammonia to nitrites. The second bb converts nitrites to nitrates.

When my 45g tank was cycling I only had nitrites for a day and a half. I thought that was odd since everything I had read indicated that it took a while for the nitrites to go down and the nitrates to appear. I tested at least once a day for the next two weeks and only saw one other small nitrite spike in that time. Maybe it was only a brief spike and you missed it.

Like the last poster stated, if you have nitrates then youve had nitrites.

You could try adding a few more fish and see if the bb in your tank are established enough to handle the additional load. Just keep a close eye on the levels and be ready for extra PWCs as needed.

Yes I never registered any nitrites in any of my tests so maybe I missed it!

My tank is still not cycled almost 3 months in

Is there any product I can add to fast track it?
I tried nutrafin cycle - it does nothing

My readings are stuck at ammonia 1-2
Nitrites are always 0
Nitrates 0-5
I do 25-50% water changes when ammonia rises.

So you're not using a dechlorinator, just the Nutrafin? I'd stop using it, it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyway. I would start using a dechlorinator though; even with well water there may be things in there that are affecting the bacteria, like heavy metals. Prime is a good one if you can get it.

Well it shouldn't be, the fish are doing great but I still get ammonia - any other suggestions??

I started to use Prime about 2 weeks ago with my water changes.
Is there any other proven product to kick start my BB colony?
I can't get the nitrates past 5

I was reading on angelsplus that their active filters may contain red ramshorn snails, would these snails adversely affect my current stock of zebra danio, glowlight tetras, Cory cats, and dwarf gourami?

I've used the Dr. Tim's before and it works well. It is better for fishless though because you have more control over parameters, like dosing ammonia. It seems like your tank should have cycled a long time ago. There must be something else going on.

Back
Top Bottom