Unheated nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any fish that can go in an unheated 8.8 gallon aquarium?
Or is there a way to have an unfiltered nano tank?
I recently moved my 8.8 gallon aquarium (currently only holding extra plants) and I realized that I won't have enough plugs.
If not then I'm not opposed to keeping snails.

I thought they were too active for a small tank? Is an 8.8 gallon ok for a small school?

Probably depends on who you talk to but 10g seems to be ok. If it's comparable in length I'd think the minimum school size would be fine.

It's not long though, I have a cube. Is there a way to do a filterless aquarium so I can have the heater plugged in? Like put lots of live plants in and make sure to do 50% weekly water changes?

Shrimp only tank might work. They don't need a heater, and are likely fine without a filter.... Need a super established tank though, probably with a nutrient rich substrate as dosing the water column with no flow won't really accomplish anything.

I tried shrimp only tank did everything right (or so I thought) and all but 2 died. Those 2 are doing suprising well with my mollies in the 55.
The tank is already cycled I just had to move it so I took out 75% of the water. I might do a redesign but I'm trying to sell some of the plants in there. I have a ton leftover from when I moved my mollies from the 20 to a 55.

As for surface agitation? I've seen filterless nanos on for the flowerhorn and he did have anything agitating the surface.

Surface agitation is pretty important to oxygenate the water in the tank and release co2 from the water. Idk how you get around that.

I think I'll just stick to snails. Maybe I can find some pretty nerites or mystery snails.

I think least killifish sound perfect for this tank. They are native to the US and do great in unheated tanks. Contrary to their name, they are actually a livebearer, not a killifish. They are very small fish with the females at about an inch in lengths max and the males significantly smaller. Their scientific name is Heterandria formosa.

Thanks I'll look into them and see if the lfs sells them or can obtain them.
I'm in the middle of redecorating the tank and won't add fish for another week st least.

I got the water tested and everything was good. I was worried that by moving the gravel around and adding sand I had started a mini cycle, but I didn't.
That's when I saw her... a little betta in a dirty cip with stress stripes...I took her home. So I put an power strip in the outlet (I was trying to avoid this) and heated the tank. I would love to add a picture but it's not letting me. I'll try later

I got the water tested and everything was good. I was worried that by moving the gravel around and adding sand I had started a mini cycle, but I didn't.
That's when I saw her... a little betta in a dirty cip with stress stripes...I took her home. So I put an power strip in the outlet (I was trying to avoid this) and heated the tank. I would love to add a picture but it's not letting me. I'll try later
Unfortunately I can't figure it out here so I put them in the photo album (my fish) on my profile. She doesn't have a name yet but her stripes dissapeared today and she is thoroughly enjoying the extra space.
I would have liked to put her in the 55g with the mollies but I don't trust them with her fins.

115369-albums14753-picture72159.html

Back
Top Bottom