uninformed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lets try this again since I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere else...
I bought a violet gobi, and 2 green spotted puffers. I was not told that they need special care...and now that I have found out here is where I am at:
The gobi is in my FW tank medicated with aquarium salt becuz the puffers ate his fins.
The puffers now have their own 10 gal tank...that has aquarium salt in it. (it is all I had on hand at the time). I need to make the puffers tank a marine tank....
my question is: ( for the millionth time) do I need to change out the water in the puffers tank to eliminate the aquarium salt before I add the marine salt?
FYI: I plan to convert my 35 gal FW that the gobi is in into a marine tank as soon as I can find someone to take my FW fishies. I have seen plecco's in marine tanks...is this not good or what?

You have not seen plecos in marine tanks.

There is a difference between marine and brackish tanks. Are you wanting to convert the 35 into a marine tank or brackish?

You could simply add marine salt to the puffer tank to bring it up to proper brackish salinity (1.008).

You have not seen plecos in marine tanks.

There is a difference between marine and brackish tanks. Are you wanting to convert the 35 into a marine tank or brackish?

You could simply add marine salt to the puffer tank to bring it up to proper brackish salinity (1.008).

you wouldnt want to do it all at once. that will put them into shock. and yes he has seen plecos in brackish i have too. its a delicate process. hes wanting to make the 35 a home for the puffers so it will become a full marine.

He said in marine, there is a huge difference (three times the salinity).

Those puffers are listed as freshwater/brackish on fishbase.org, not full marine. Marine and brackish are very different and we need to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

A brackish tank is a horrible home for a pleco. If you even could acclimate them to it, there is no way they would thrive long term (my guess is they wouldn't even last short term).

Actually a regular acclimation would be fine. I have seen brackish fish that were kept in freshwater go straight to the air tube being used to drip acclimate them to brackish conditions because they wanted the salt so bad. They were then put right in to full brackish and thrived. Going towards ideal is not stressful, it is going away from it that would stress fish out.

and they do transfer to full marine. ive kept them and researched them even sell them at work. and reports of plecos are about 2 years. and yes acclimating them you stated "You could simply add marine salt to the puffer tank to bring it up to proper brackish salinity (1.008)." thats a big no no mixing salt in a tank? and no actually marine starts 1.019 brackish is a wide range.

the way i told him in his other thread is a better more safe way. (had multiple gsp and brackish tanks)

Full Brackish not full Saltwater.

Puffers do best in species only tanks from what I see. They are quite aggressive as the OP has seen.

Snails are a good food and will keep the beak trimmed.

Fishbase is run and used by scientists.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Don't pour dry salt directly into a tank with fish in it.

Living for supposedly up to 2 years is not thriving. Were they breeding? Why would you do it in the first place? Fish should be in tanks that meet their needs. Forcing a pleco (from some of the softest water on the planet) into a brackish tank is not doing that. IMO that is abuse. There is absolutely no need or reason to do so and it is far from in the best interest of the fish. If that is the 'good enough' standard we are going by then nevermind, some people will do whatever they want no matter what anyone else says.

Anyone reading:
PLEASE do not put ANY freshwater fish in brackish conditions. Fish deserve a home they can thrive in, not barely live in. Fishbase.org is a website that is maintained and used by scientists. It has much more accurate information about the natural parameters, max size, etc. of every fish out there. It is more accurate than hobbyist sites and should be consulted for certain issues (such as temp, max size, natural conditions, etc.).

Full Brackish not full Saltwater.

Puffers do best in species only tanks from what I see. They are quite aggressive as the OP has seen.

Snails are a good food and will keep the beak trimmed.
it is full marine saltwater. done my research. and yes i will say this as in ive kept multiple gsp.

Fishbase is run and used by scientists.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Don't pour dry salt directly into a tank with fish in it.

Living for supposedly up to 2 years is not thriving. Were they breeding? Why would you do it in the first place? Fish should be in tanks that meet their needs. Forcing a pleco (from some of the softest water on the planet) into a brackish tank is not doing that. IMO that is abuse. There is absolutely no need or reason to do so and it is far from in the best interest of the fish. If that is the 'good enough' standard we are going by then nevermind, some people will do whatever they want no matter what anyone else says.

Anyone reading:
PLEASE do not put ANY freshwater fish in brackish conditions. Fish deserve a home they can thrive in, not barely live in. Fishbase.org is a website that is maintained and used by scientists. It has much more accurate information about the natural parameters, max size, etc. of every fish out there. It is more accurate than hobbyist sites and should be consulted for certain issues (such as temp, max size, natural conditions, etc.).

you need to be clear with your statements. and i dont know they were not mine. and before you post again you need to think of this. what are mollys? freshwater fish can they thrive and breed and live long lifes in brackish. yes. and well they have not done studies i guess. i know of one person with a gsp in a reef tank. and i doubt it has every fish. i will trust my database that i have access to over that, and its compiled of i guarentee more trusted aquatic biologists.

Fishbase lists mollies as freshwater and saltwater. In nature they are freshwater fish that have an ability to go into brackish and even full marine conditions in search of food. Some evidence suggests they do best in completely freshwater setups with hard water. Other more anecdotal evidence suggest they do better with 'some salt'. Still more suggests brackish.

Fishbase.org lists bumblebee gobies as freshwater and brackish.

What database do you use?

Honestly, I don't care who knows one person who has managed to put fish in tanks they don't belong in. GSPs are not reef fish. Plecos are not brackish. That is all anyone on here needs to know. Examples of people doing the wrong thing and it not killing the fish immediately proves little more than it is not so bad that it kills them immediately.

not caring what fishbase says. and evidence? why does everyone reccomend salt with them? lol make sense?. and i use my works database thats been compiled of over 30 years of studies. including ones by seachem discus hanz etc. im done here you have your high horse so stay on it. hope it dont hurt when you fall.

Not everyone recommends salt with mollies (I am guessing that is what you were referring to). There is evidence that long term they do better without salt. Their ability to go into brackish and salt in nature means they can naturally handle high amounts of salt, something that could explain exactly why it doesn't bother them as much as it will other fish. This is something NOT true of plecos and other freshwater fish.

So that database is not accessible to us? Then I guess fishbase.org is still the best option for hobbyists to get accurate information.

wow

Easy there guys..!! LOL
Ok...so my puffers are going to get a 2 gal water change every other week with marine salt added to the water.
And sorry (new to the terms) Was thinking of turning my 35 gal into a brackish tank for the gobi, but i gotta ditch the FW first...or....buy a brackish set up for the gobi and leave the FW alone.
sorry if i posted wrong terms for this stuff...i have only ever done FW...so i am new to this.
Thanks for all the help tho :)
PS
Female I am ...just saying. :p

No problem. I just wanted to make sure we were all talking about the same thing so you get the right info.

As you can see there can be quite a range in opinions. I prefer to stick to facts and scientific information (why I suggest fishbase). IMO it is riskier to go by a couple of examples that 'disprove' the rule and go with different methods.

i get the right info? i have more info then you do. your judging your info off one site lol really. im judging mine off experinece, a database and others including scientists in my field of study. (marine biology).

That's fine. But with no access to this database to judge it for myself and it not being available as a resource for others either, it isn't very useful or helpful. No matter how accurate it is if it isn't accessible it is useless.

Please use proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. It is sad how bad we have all gotten about these things. People may take you more seriously as a marine biologist if you capitalized the beginning of your sentences and used proper grammar. Most scientists are pretty particular about those kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom