Unique fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya I keep them in a planted tank with rainbows and angels at around neutral ph, I do do a 50% wc weekly tho which does return the hardness and ph higher since I live in city

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is neutral ph? Around 7.5?

Ya around 7 but can be a bit higher after wc

The fish seem to like it, I have angels that seem to be spawning every few weeks

It really comes down to whether you want to keep the fish in the type of conditions the species originally comes from. It's more flexible with tank bred species but I still have a hard time believing that soft water/hard water fish change their physiology over just a few generations. It doesn't mean the fish won't live in adverse conditions, it's just a matter of how well they are suited for it long term.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The ph I keep my tank at is about 7.6. I think I'll just try a couple dwarf puffers for now and if it doesn't work out I'll try a julidochromis.(y)

It really comes down to whether you want to keep the fish in the type of conditions the species originally comes from. It's more flexible with tank bred species but I still have a hard time believing that soft water/hard water fish change their physiology over just a few generations. It doesn't mean the fish won't live in adverse conditions, it's just a matter of how well they are suited for it long term.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tend to agree with this. I know tank bred should be more flexible (or if local, more adjusted to the local water) and fish have to be a bit flexible anyway to what they live in but I find it creates a bit of stress in the fish if the fish are not roughly matched to the water chemistry. This may be fine but if anything else goes wrong and creates additional stress, may be too much for fish. A working theory anyways.

I got a julidochromis and it seems to be doing fine. It's eating and it's not bothering any of the others! :brows:

Back
Top Bottom