Update!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
After that awful nano tank problem, I refunded it and bought a new 12-15 gallon with the filter and heater. I put all the decorations in let it run for the night and am about to start the fishless cycle with the fish food and some decorations from another tank. I am thinking after its done and compete I will put in 2 balloon mollies, 1 cleaner shrimp, and maybe a mini school of tetras.l Thanks everyone for all your help and I'll post pictures when done!

I would reconsider the mollies. They are great fish but really prosper in a tank of at least 20L to 29 gal. If you do decide to go that route, choose either both males or both females. They reproduce like crazy.

Oh I know that's what I was thinking of changing. Would neon tetras and then what else would be ok for the tank? Update again: It's been about 2 hours and a lot of the flakes have already dissolved. I'm going to test for ammonia to see if any significant changes happened either tommorow or later. I also cranked my heater a little bit for the bacteria. What about maybe 1 or 2 blue gouramis? Would mabye just one be suitable with a school of neon tetras or would 2 be too much for the bioload?

I'd say you'd be fine with two blue gourami's and 4 or 5 neon tetras. Keep up with your water changes and watch for any kind of aggression.

Good! Next update: Water has become a little cloudy but that is just becaue of the food decomposing so not big issue since I'll do a large pwc in the end. Ammonia has risen already to .25, other levels still at 0. Will test again tonight.

Fishyfanatic said:
I would reconsider the mollies. They are great fish but really prosper in a tank of at least 20L to 29 gal. If you do decide to go that route, choose either both males or both females. They reproduce like crazy.

Actually, Zebbyboy said he wanted ballon mollies, which are perfect for a tank that size. Regular and sailfisn would do better in a larger tank, but ballon mollies max out at only a few inches.

Fishyfanatic said:
I'd say you'd be fine with two blue gourami's and 4 or 5 neon tetras.

Gotta disagree with this too, sorry. Blue gouramis get fairly large, like 6". I am thinking maybe you were thinking of dwarf gouramis. Blue gouramis need 20long-29gal minimum IMO. They can and most likely will be too agressive. Bad idea to keep 2 together aswell. Blue gouramis will also eat neons at their adult sizes.

Now, IMHO, you should go with the baloon mollies and a school of neons.

That's what I was thinking, because I have seen the balloon mollies and they are very tiny their max size is about 2". And plus they are all more tiny fish so I thought they would get along. Thanks!

I have to disagree with you Water. Neon Blue Gourami's do not grow to be 6" in size.

And I still do not believe that Mollies should be kept in a small tank. I've kept Balloon mollies and would never put them in a 10 gal.

Next Update: Ammonia has risen to .50 ppm, nitrites and nitrates have not started yet. Will test again saturday night.

zebbyboy,

I'd seriously consider ammonia over fish food. Pure ammonia doesn't rot. When I started fishless cycling my 10 gallon, I started out with ammonia from the local grocery store. Avoid anything that has more in it's ingredients than ammonia and water.

Took me 2 1/2 weeks to complete the cycle with brand new everything. No cloudiness or anything. I get a lot of compliments on how clear my water is. (Although one complained it made her dizzy to look into the tank for too long... I think she just thrives on complaining....)

Here, read this sites info on Fishless Cycling and maybe do a google search on it as well.

Ammonia is far better than fish food IMO

I know this, but if it takes longer it takes longer. It's working and the cloudiness will end after I clean it our with a major pwc in the end. The food is dissolving or rotting which is good. I know all about the fishless cycling, but I really like this way better and it seems to be working since the ammonia is rising. Really, I don't care how long it takes, just baby steps are fine :p

Great news! The cycle is moving much faster! Tested this afternoon and the ammonia is now at 4ppm, nitrites .25 ppm, nitrates still 0 and the water has become much clearer again! This sound right? It's my third day on the cycle

Yep, that's what happens. However, be aware that once your ammonia tests at 0 ppm, your nitrite will probably plateau for quite awhile (a week or longer) before going down and finally hitting 0, which will take another week or so. IME, nitrite to nitrate takes a bit longer than ammonia to nitrite.

Ok thanks! To help it go a little faster I took some gravel from my betta tank, put it in a ziploc bag and poked holes in it hopefully hoping to help the bacteria. I cranked the heater to 80 degrees too to get this moving along. I'll test the water in the moring or later tonight.

Ok another update tell me what you think.

1 week no nitrites have shown yet.

I have gravel in there and other items from another tank.

The ammonia is still at around 4-6 ppm and hasn't changed.

Suggestions or should I just wait it out?

Back
Top Bottom