Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Update on my 20 gallon tank

Hi, fishfolk,

I set up my tank using a 20 year-old guidebook (it listed nothing about cycling. Is this a recent practice?) Anyway, I have been doing a fish-in-tank cycling and so far, so good. I have yet to see a dramatic rise in either ammonia or nitrites. I have several live plants in my tank, along with my fish. I also have a couple of pieces of driftwood and some bioballs. I have done several water changes and i have also been using Stability and Prime. Thankfully, none of my fish have died or gotten weakened by the chemical levels.

In the meantime, I have "inherited" a 10 gallon tank that housed a turtle until this week. I need to clean it out (with vinegar and water?). Should I leave the turtle's gravel in the tank after I clean it? Are there any "turtle germs" that could harm fish? My intent is to use this as a quarantine tank for new fish or ill fish. After I clean it, I will start cycling it the right way--with no fish present.

Then, with my tax refund, I invested in a 29 gallon tank. Again, I will begin cycling without any fish present. This will give me 2 freshwater tanks and a holding tank for fish with special needs.

If I use plain old ammonia to start cycling the new tanks, how much should I use for each of the new tanks (10 and 29)?

Thanks again to one and all for your expertise and words of welcome and encouragement!

Lynn

Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good to me. You should add ammonia until your tanks read 4-5ppm on your ammo test.

Vinegar and water should be fine to clean the tank but wouldn't recommend using the gravel from the turtle tank, dont know if anything could transfer and harm your fish. Your QT tank wants to have a bare bottom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com