Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Update on my fishless cycle - am I cycled now?

I setup my 10g tank about a month ago next week and was away on vacation for 2 weeks, getting back on election day.

I put a shrimp into the tank the day before I left (one week prior I did the "ammonia" method with household ammonia).

I now have 20 or 40ppm Nitrates in the tank, even after a 25% water change! ahhh! What do I need to get this down to? Since I have nitrates am I fully cycled or is it a spike and I have to continue waiting for it to level off?

I added 5ppm ammonia on Tuesday evening and it's already gone - converted to nitrites and nitrates. Nitrites are at .5ppm.

Where do I go from here? Do a 50% water change and buy some fish?

Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds good.
Most fish can tolerate up to 40ppm of nitrate. The nitrite and ammonia should be undectable when a tank is cycled.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, fishless, fishless cycle, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com