Updating Forum Advice for Beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjsvt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have learned an amazing amount of information in just one week. I did not realize I need a college level course to have a few tropical fish or goldfish. I wish I knew what I know now a week ago. Hindsight is always 20/20 they say!

So anyway I have a request and I don't know what the best way is to go about it since I'm new to the forum. I started my journey a week ago with the sticky at the top of the forum and the articles it contained. In particular, I found the Quide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium great. However, a week later I have discovered it is missing a MAJOR component that I wish it discussed number ONE at the top. And because it wasn't there for me, I'm now into this hobby hundreds of dollars more than I ever thought I could spend and I still don't have any fish. If I had known what I know now, I would have seriously considered whether it was worth the money. The number ONE topic at the top of the article should have been WATER. Where is your aquarium water going to come from? For me, the answer was softened well water which it turns out should NOT be used in any kind of aquarium for any kind of fish!! Number two get some test kits for GH and KH and test your water source before you ever go out and buy anything. Number three if you don't have a water source that is acceptable for the type of fish you want you really should know that BEFORE you get started. AND you should know where to go to read more about water quality. You should also know how much more involved you'll need to be and how much more expensive it will be if you are still determined to continue with your dream of owning fish. So I'd really like to see this information added to the article. Or better yet a new article that discusses water quality. What is the best way to go about this?

On the plus side, my RO will be here Monday and along with all the chemicals I'll need to make my water exactly what I need. My tank is on the downhill side of cycling with water that isn't acceptable for any kind of fish. Hopefully I can keep my plants and BB alive just a few days more until I can start making my own perfect aquarium water. Thankfully my husband has been super supportive despite all the added expense and it has been fun learning so much about WATER! One thing is for sure, my fish (when I finally get them!) will be super super happy!

So I have learned an amazing amount of information in just one week. I did not realize I need a college level course to have a few tropical fish or goldfish. I wish I knew what I know now a week ago. Hindsight is always 20/20 they say!

So anyway I have a request and I don't know what the best way is to go about it since I'm new to the forum. I started my journey a week ago with the sticky at the top of the forum and the articles it contained. In particular, I found the Quide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium great. However, a week later I have discovered it is missing a MAJOR component that I wish it discussed number ONE at the top. And because it wasn't there for me, I'm now into this hobby hundreds of dollars more than I ever thought I could spend and I still don't have any fish. If I had known what I know now, I would have seriously considered whether it was worth the money. The number ONE topic at the top of the article should have been WATER. Where is your aquarium water going to come from? For me, the answer was softened well water which it turns out should NOT be used in any kind of aquarium for any kind of fish!! Number two get some test kits for GH and KH and test your water source before you ever go out and buy anything. Number three if you don't have a water source that is acceptable for the type of fish you want you really should know that BEFORE you get started. AND you should know where to go to read more about water quality. You should also know how much more involved you'll need to be and how much more expensive it will be if you are still determined to continue with your dream of owning fish. So I'd really like to see this information added to the article. Or better yet a new article that discusses water quality. What is the best way to go about this?

On the plus side, my RO will be here Monday and along with all the chemicals I'll need to make my water exactly what I need. My tank is on the downhill side of cycling with water that isn't acceptable for any kind of fish. Hopefully I can keep my plants and BB alive just a few days more until I can start making my own perfect aquarium water. Thankfully my husband has been super supportive despite all the added expense and it has been fun learning so much about WATER! One thing is for sure, my fish (when I finally get them!) will be super super happy!

If the water softener is the problem Usually the out side hose bibs are before the softener because watering grass and washing cars would be a big waste of money and stress on the softener.

That is not the case for us. All incoming water from the well goes through the softener. The well water is very hard and contains too much iron and is very detrimental to applicances and the hot water heater. The rain waters the grass and gardens here and washes our cars. If we do car washes we use a pressure washer to reduce water use and it also works best with soft water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did figure out today that we do have access to unsoftened well. It's a little bit of a pain but it's doable. The pH is 7.2, GH is 23 dKH and KH is 20 dKH. I did a 90% water change today 1:3 well to soft water (my nitrites and nitrates were off the scale but the cycle is processing 4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours). The pH jumps up to 8.2 with ammonia addition, GH is 11 and KH unchanged at 20. The softener does not reduce KH.
My RO arrived today so I'll be experimenting with well water and RO water ratios tomorrow. But fortunately it appears I'll be able to mix some well water in and not have to use 100% RO water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom