Upgrade from a 2.5 gal to a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a new 10 gal to replace my small 2.5 gal. Looking to fill in the right hand side with a live plant and was wondering do I need to cycle it before adding plant or go ahead and add it? I currently have a platy looking to get two more female platys and thinking of maybe getting a few guppys any thoughts. I plan on getting the tank cycled before adding any fish.

Attachments

• image-2231255031.jpg
    image-2231255031.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 49
Ah the clown puke gravel....
As long as you like it, it's fine. Look at switching to sand sometime if you ever want a " Nature" tank. Your gravel is very shallow for plant roots, BUT
Add plants now.

Try Java Fern or Anubias. Tie them to wood, rocks or decor.

Post what kind of light you have. Read whats written on the bulb and post all of that.

There is an edit button around.

I know it's a two 15 watts in the hood. And the wifey wanted the gravel I wanted sand! But I was able to talk her into the 10 gal so I will deal with it.

This is the kit I bought.

Attachments

• image-833887778.jpg
    image-833887778.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 38
I would only do the three platies or a few guppies not both. The platies would have to be by themselves. You could trade in your platy and do nano fish like scarlet badis, CPDs, ember tetras,Otos, chili rasboras, and many more
Or you could do a species only tank with two Indian dwarf pufferfish

Well I think I will make it a platy tank! Would I be able to keep shrimp in there with the platy? And what is the easiest and organic way to start a fish less cycle? It need it to be beginner friendly since I am new to the world of fish. I was told it is better if you can use as little chemical as possible to setup a tank. The guy told me to be as organic as possible to get better results.

A good way to help cycle your tank is to put some of the gravel from the 2.5 gallon that already has helpful bacteria on it into the new tank if you still have the old gravel.

Christopherlh84 said:
Well I think I will make it a platy tank! Would I be able to keep shrimp in there with the platy? And what is the easiest and organic way to start a fish less cycle? It need it to be beginner friendly since I am new to the world of fish. I was told it is better if you can use as little chemical as possible to setup a tank. The guy told me to be as organic as possible to get better results.

Platies can kill most Dwarf Shrimp. You can try Ghost or Amano Shrimp.

You can do all male Platies or you'll have to have a plan to deal with babies.

Thanks also what could I use my 2.5 gal for? I was thinking of snails and shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom