Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh yes you can definitely depend on the eheim. in fact, i have eheim 2217 as well in my 65gal. runs smoothly and steadily

Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can just see the thought process on the tank choice..

Hrmm good width on 40b and good length / height on 55. Screw em both get bigger!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ha! I cant tell you how right you are on my thought process. Do I have room for a 75g... hmmm, no. Well I guess I'll just have to make room. lol.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know that it's a common pleco? If it's a clown, bristlenosed or rubber lipped would do fine in a 55g or a 40b, heck if you driftwood scaped well enough you could house 2 of them and 2 or 3 small peaceful schools... Check your lfs- you might be able to trade yours for a different type that fits in with your life better this from me sounds horribly odd considering I have a house full of tanks ranging from .3g to 150g... I started small too-I think all of us aqua kooks did, it's highly addictive, lol, just watch out or you'll wind up with multiple biotope tanks that grow based on obsession.... Wow, I'm chatty today.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #15

I would love to know what kind of pleco I have, I'll take a pic in the next day or two and I guess post it here as Im not sure if I am allowed to pm as a very new member yet. I don't mean to highjack my own thread. I did get my 75g tank today and I'm very happy I bit the bullet and opted for this size. I've got to get under the house and put some reinforcement up under where the tank is before I water test it for leaks (I've got a conventional foundation but luckily there's about a 3ft crawl space under this area of my house) and I figure I'm probably looking at around 800 lbs once it is fully set up. I don't want to come home to a hole in my den floor ; ) Again thanks for all the advice Im glad I found this site. Im thinking of keeping a pic journal on my progress, not sure where I would post it here - any suggestions? It's going to be planted so maybe in the planted tank section?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #16

Here's my pleco, he had his dorsal fin up just seconds before I took the pic but I wasn't able to snap the shot quick enough. It's about 6" long tip to tail. I thought maybe it was a sailfin pleco. Not good picture quality I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	187440  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does kind of look like a sailfin, but I am far from a pleco expert- I only have had albino bristlenosed plecs, rubberlipped and royal- I don't find most plecs to be worth the stress and mess- when they get large they can turn predatory.

Congrats on the 75g- lots of room!!! I'll do some research and see if I can id that pleco.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would post under member showcase... I know what you mean, in order to set up my 150g and I had to have my hubby level the center of our 1830s colonial and fill in our crawl space with rebar and concrete and reinforce the beams with industrial jacks. I also have him securing the floor under my 55g upstairs... I'm so glad I don't have a landlord, lol... It's so bad now I'm rebuilding my house around my tanks right down to the wiring and plumbing... It needs to be done anyway to be up to code so why not?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I would post under member showcase... I know what you mean, in order to set up my 150g and I had to have my hubby level the center of our 1830s colonial and fill in our crawl space with rebar and concrete and reinforce the beams with industrial jacks. I also have him securing the floor under my 55g upstairs... I'm so glad I don't have a landlord, lol... It's so bad now I'm rebuilding my house around my tanks right down to the wiring and plumbing... It needs to be done anyway to be up to code so why not?
It's really bad when you start seriously considering getting a second job just so you can finance you fish tank addiciton... Like I am doing right now

Tags
40 gallon, 55 gallon, breeder, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com