Upgrading Filter During Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealnickster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a Tetra Whisper 40 Power Filter that came with the 40 gallon pentagon tank my father found in an abandoned apartment. I could never find the appropriate filter replacement for the Whisper in any of the stores I went to so I just placed a large filter cartridge into the filter until I could purchase a new filter. I believe that the previous owners of the tank did no use the correct filter cartridges either.
Today I went to the pet store and bought an Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Power Filter with the correct replacement filter cartridges. I am in the middle of my tank cycling and was wondering if it was okay to switch the Whisper to the Aqueon? If so, how would I go about doing this without disrupting the tank cycle? I was also wondering if the Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Power Filter is a good filter or is it just average? In the future would it be best to upgrade once more to a better filter? If yes, which do you recommend?

Thank you,
Nicole

IMO aqueon is adequate. Just my experience with them. I swear by Aquaclear filters. Built much better and lots of internal space.

Just put the pad from the old filter in with the new filter.

Caleb

IMO aqueon is adequate. Just my experience with them. I swear by Aquaclear filters. Built much better and lots of internal space.

Just put the pad from the old filter in with the new filter.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb!

I just read some wonderful things about AquaClear Filters. It will definitely be the next filter I buy.

I did put the pad from the previous filter into the new filter but it is much smaller than the pad that is supposed to be in the new filter. Can I put the old pad with the new one? If yes, should I place it in front or behind the new pad?

Back
Top Bottom