upgrading from 15 to 36 gallon tank, stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mycomuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently fishless cycling a 36 gallon tank, as an upgrade from my 15 gallon column. Eventually I will have moved over
8 reed/veilfin tetras
2 male plates
A pair of German blue rams

I was wondering what else I could put in to fill out the tank. I was thinking of adding a small school of pygmy cories to fill out the bottom, but I am unsure what to add to the middle/top. I want to keep everything from south/central america. Also I want everything to be small. I would love something that schools or has a lot of personality.

Ideas?

Dwarf Hatchetfish? Not super-tiny and not super-active, but definitely small and they're textbook top-dwellers.

Ember Tetras are tiny and I believe occupy the middle of the tank.

I thought about ember tetras, they are the same size as the reed tetras, so I think if I got a school of tetras that size I would just get more reed tetras. Unfortunately, they seem to be tricky to find.

How many hatchets would I need for them to feel comfortable?

I thought about ember tetras, they are the same size as the reed tetras, so I think if I got a school of tetras that size I would just get more reed tetras. Unfortunately, they seem to be tricky to find.

True, but embers are a cool orange color. It might provide a nice contrast.

Neons are middle/bottom dwellers and stay pretty small.

How many hatchets would I need for them to feel comfortable?

You'll want six or more. Beware that they jump - your lid cannot have any gaps.

Back
Top Bottom