Upgrading from a 30 gallon tank to 75 gallon help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel108

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm upgrading my tank from a 30 to a 75 gallon freshwater and what would be the fastest way to cycle the 75 gallon. I was told to transfer all decor and fake plants I currently have a bare bottom in the 30 gallon. Also transferring the filter media would help make it go faster and all the water? I went to my local petco and they told me to use special blend which would help the process go faster. So any suggestions? ???

Changing Tanks

I'm upgrading my tank from a 30 to a 75 gallon freshwater and what would be the fastest way to cycle the 75 gallon. I was told to transfer all decor and fake plants I currently have a bare bottom in the 30 gallon. Also transferring the filter media would help make it go faster and all the water? I went to my local petco and they told me to use special blend which would help the process go faster. So any suggestions? ???

Hello Joe...

Great idea. Larger tanks are much easier to keep. The best way to cycle the new, larger tank is to move the filter media to the filter on the 75. Add more media rinsed in some of the old tank water to fill the new filter. If you're not going to use the 30, then move all the decorations, plants or anything else to the new tank. Anything with a surface area will house good bacteria. The water from the old tank is really useless, there's no surface to house the good bacteria.

You can transfer the fish too. But, if you want to add any, you must do it very slowly. Too many fish added at once and the bacteria won't be able to keep up with the added wastes.

Add some floating plants like Hornwort. Just drop some individual stems into the new tank. These plants take in the nutrients from the fish wastes and help maintain stable water properties.

You don't need to use bacteria type chemicals, just one to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tap water. Seachem's "Safe" is what I use, but there are others.

Have fun!

B

I agree with the above advice and would only add that even if transferring everything over including fish, you will still have a mini-cycle occur as it all gets re-established. It could be 3 days or a week, but you should still test the water to be sure all is ok.

also be certain the water matches the old tank water in terms of temp and ph otherwise you run the risk of harming the BB colony.

IMO you could use about 30% of the old water to get everything set-up and decorated, then top off with treated water. That way it is less risk of shock to the bacteria colony.
I also advise to stay away from bottled bacteria, it's a 50/50/50 proposition as to whether it will help, hurt, or do nothing. If it is past it's very short shelf life, it could foul the tank.

gotta remember those little buggers are the most important livestock to have in the tank. ;)

edit: if the current tank water tests high for nitrate, >20ppm, then I would forgo using it and just be sure to treat and age the new water. ;)

Back
Top Bottom