Upgrading tank, Heating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

on4now4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have been running a successful aquaponics setup for a few months now out of a 20 gallon tank. Just some guppies and goldfish. Now although I got into this because I was interested in growing plants (Basil, Oregano, Mint, etc.) It has really elevated my interest in fish. I know its just a couple gold fish but I love watching them swim around haha. So now I am looking at a bigger tank. Something around 200 gallon.

Now my question right now is in regards to heating a tank so large. I want to do a freshwater tropical fish tank. Will need to be kept in the range of 75-80F. But how big of a heater will I need? I have run it through a number of calculators on the internet and received vastly different answers. Ranging from 300 watt to 6000 watt. My ambient room temp where I will be keeping the tank is around 55F.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I need a 6000 watt heater I do not believe that this will work because I just cant justify the heating bill.

Hello,

I have been running a successful aquaponics setup for a few months now out of a 20 gallon tank. Just some guppies and goldfish. Now although I got into this because I was interested in growing plants (Basil, Oregano, Mint, etc.) It has really elevated my interest in fish. I know its just a couple gold fish but I love watching them swim around haha. So now I am looking at a bigger tank. Something around 200 gallon.

Now my question right now is in regards to heating a tank so large. I want to do a freshwater tropical fish tank. Will need to be kept in the range of 75-80F. But how big of a heater will I need? I have run it through a number of calculators on the internet and received vastly different answers. Ranging from 300 watt to 6000 watt. My ambient room temp where I will be keeping the tank is around 55F.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I need a 6000 watt heater I do not believe that this will work because I just cant justify the heating bill.

I have a 55g tank and I have the Fluval 200L. So with some basic math, 200/55 is roughly 4 and 4x200 is 800. I would guess that a 800w heater would suffice.

3 to 5 watts per gallon is a pretty common rule of thumb but it depends on where you live.

A home in Southern California or Arizona will be closer to 3. A home in upstate New York or Michigan with super cold winters will want 5 or more easily.

3 to 5 watts per gallon is a pretty common rule of thumb but it depends on where you live.

A home in Southern California or Arizona will be closer to 3. A home in upstate New York or Michigan with super cold winters will want 5 or more easily.

Yes, Exactly. I live in Michigan. It is currently below 0 outside. and my inside temp is low often down to the 50's

Back
Top Bottom