Upgrading to 125 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 75 gallon tank and will be upgrading to a 125 that is sitting in my garage.

I have some questions regarding adding new filters to the bigger tank. Have a Fluval 406 on the 75. Have two Fluval 306's that came with the tank. I plan on setting them all up on the 125 for lots of filtration.

When setting up the new filters on the tank what can I use from current one to seed the new ones ? I have filter pads and bio rings for my media.

Will it cause a spike on ammonia as the new filters cycle ? I'd like to avoid that.

Any other suggestions ?

You can up some of the old media and put it in with the new, or move some of the bio rings into the new ones to seed them. Just make sure you keep some in the original filter as well to keep it cycled. Chances are you'll atleast go through a mini cycle though.
What might be best is to start running the new filters on the existing tank next to the current filter, it'll help build up BB on them before the switch and while you may still have mini-cycle, it won't be too bad since all the filters already have a good bacteria colony growing on them.

You can run the new filter on the old tank for awhile..also use the substrate from the 75 and even the water if you'd like..there isn't much BB at all in water.. but anything helps!

Thanks for the help.

Would this, "mini cycle" cause any issues for my tank ?

What tank? It really wouldn't hurt either of them..unless you just took everything off the 75 to the new tank and never did anything and then added fish. If you let your new filter go for at least a week on your 75 and then took the substrate from the 75 after a week to and syphoned your old water into the new tank..I don't think you would have any problem. You should always test your water though first.

So my current 75 is where I am going to put the 125. So if I run the new filters on the current tank for a week or so the plan was empty the 75 while putting about 30 gallons on a garbage can to save and put in new tank. Move old tank in, set up with the same substrate (sand....have to buy more and mix together to cover entire bottom of new tank) set up filters, put water back in (mix of old and new) then start it up and add current 75 livestock to the 125....

Good plan ?

If possible I would let them run for as long as possible, a few weeks (again, if possible) would be great. I just saw a 125 in a LFS today... I had some serious tank envy!!! Your lucky you have one sitting in your garage!

I can let them run a few weeks for sure. It's been sitting in my garage for about 3 months. Got a great deal on it. Tank, super nice stand, tops, two Fluval 306's for $300.

I just had an acrylic box made for my BGK. I think I had it made to big and going to go back to cut it down at the LFS that made it. It's black on top (so no lift goes through) and charcoal on the sides so only a little light goes through. He is outgrowing his favorite hiding place....

I can let them run a few weeks for sure. It's been sitting in my garage for about 3 months. Got a great deal on it. Tank, super nice stand, tops, two Fluval 306's for $300.

I just had an acrylic box made for my BGK. I think I had it made to big and going to go back to cut it down at the LFS that made it. It's black on top (so no lift goes through) and charcoal on the sides so only a little light goes through. He is outgrowing his favorite hiding place....

That is an awesome deal!!! I was just in my LFS's 'home' store today and they had a 125 that came with 4 (2 filters and heaters) marineland filters and heaters, stand and lights for $500... And I thought $500 was a deal!

That is an awesome deal!!! I was just in my LFS's 'home' store today and they had a 125 that came with 4 (2 filters and heaters) marineland filters and heaters, stand and lights for $500... And I thought $500 was a deal!

Ya....the family had goldfish in the tank and wanted to downsize. They wanted it out as fast as possible. I had been waiting patiently for months surfing Craigslist and it paid off. Only about 15 mins from where I live too !

Ya....the family had goldfish in the tank and wanted to downsize. They wanted it out as fast as possible. I had been waiting patiently for months surfing Craigslist and it paid off. Only about 15 mins from where I live too !

Couldn't have asked for much closer! That's so awesome!

So I'm going through the 2 filters I got with the tank. Neither of then have the small plastic piece that goes at the bottom of the intake hose that is inside the tank. Is that an issue ? None of my fish are small enough to get sucked up into it....

They have bio rings in them already. Can I use those or should I get new ones ?

Lastly what about the large foam media that is not in the compartments, but off to the side...buy new or use ? They have been sitting in my garage for a few months now. Going to clean them up and try and get them running on current tank to cycle them

I got one filter set up yesterday. It has to sit off to the side of the tank cause not enough room underneath. Try and set up the other next week.

Back
Top Bottom