Upgrading to a 29! Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought a 29 gallon for only 29 bucks! Good deal! I have two main questions! In my current 10 gallon setup I have been adding salt and have read some people not recommend it for use other than as a medication. Opinions on that?
Because of this upgrade I wanna also upgrade my whisper 20 filter to an old aquaclear 110 I haven't used in years. I have all the old filter media, nothing expect the foam is usable right? I'm also not sure of which media is essential, I know the carbon is. What about amrid and biomax? Recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Ok, I've read that you shouldn't replace your biomax and it will be fine. However is it ok if the biomax has been stored for 3 years or so?

Hi. I removed your 2nd post because bumping is against forum rules.

I wouldn't bother with any ammonia removing stuff if that's what amrid is. Biomax is fine to leave in there as long as you want. It's basically just a porous material that has a lot of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize on. If it's been in storage it'll be okay, just give it a good rinse before using it.

Salt should only be used when medicating freshwater fish.

jetajockey said:
Hi. I removed your 2nd post because bumping is against forum rules.

I wouldn't bother with any ammonia removing stuff if that's what amrid is. Biomax is fine to leave in there as long as you want. It's basically just a porous material that has a lot of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize on. If it's been in storage it'll be okay, just give it a good rinse before using it.

Salt should only be used when medicating freshwater fish.

Oh I'm sorry! I didn't realize! Won't happen again.

Thanks for the answer! Appreciate your help!!

Back
Top Bottom