Urgent Advice Please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicmarn1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband just made me so happy! we went into our LFS and he knows i have wanted a 55 gallon for ages and ages to do a fully planted discus tank.

Anyway he never really wanted me to spend that much but today they had a used tank with 3 filters a stand, rocks, driftwood, gravel ( i would want a better substrate) and just tonnes of stuff, best part a canister filter ! yey but it was MORE than the brand new one filter one heater 55 gallon there at $300 (ripped off or not i am SO happy right now) i saw the fish he got with it, very healthy and HUGE silver dollars and loaches,

anyway the question is, it had very established bacteria, whilst i want to clean im also thinking i could since i saw the healthy very huge fish get everything in water and get it going tonight? or else take it apart and scrub everything and start all over??? by tonight i just mean getting the water and substate going then adding plants then adding fish, but would miss out on a FEW weeks cycling with bacteria ready to go??

please please be honest and tell me what you would do guys? how long do i have anyway overnight? 2 days ? before bacteria die out of water

and OH the bliss, the joy of planning a planted tank, now its off to look for the best bulb (this top only has room for a single bulb..) and plants to work for me buying a lot of plants if anyone selling ! discus friendly plants? rainbows, discus and a school of something smaller but not fast moving. first impulse. :fish1::thanks:

thank you

ok got two of the filters and the gravel in water in the tank with the new black substrate, so just the canister filter to rework and add, that should give me enough established media to get a head start i hope :confused:

Back
Top Bottom