URGENT! Ammonia levels spiked in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vixean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am currently cycling my 10g Freshwater tank. It has been five days since I've put three guppy fry in it (It is a fish in cycle). I am about to do a water change, but I don't know if a 50 or a 75% water change is the best. Answers are appreciated!

P.S: I'm assuming these type of thread topics are quite reoccouring, so I apologize for that! :facepalm:

So I am currently cycling my 10g Freshwater tank. It has been five days since I've put three guppy fry in it (It is a fish in cycle). I am about to do a water change, but I don't know if a 50 or a 75% water change is the best. Answers are appreciated!

P.S: I'm assuming these type of thread topics are quite reoccouring, so I apologize for that! :facepalm:

Just read the fish-in cycling article on this site. Click Articles at the top of the page and search "cycling". It'll fill you in.

You should be doing very frequent water changes if doing a fish-in cycle.

You can do a 50-75% water change but only if the new water is exactly the same as the tank water, or you could shock the fish. Typically, water straight out of the tap will have a slightly higher pH and a lot of dissolved gasses, so too big a water change can shock fish. If you were making the water yourself by remineralizing R/O water and matching it to the tank, you could do a 95% water change and get away with it.

Keep the water changes to 50% or less with tap water. If your tap water has tonnes of tiny bubbles in it or if it tests at a much higher pH out of tap than it does after sitting for 24 hours, do a bit less than 50%.

Back
Top Bottom