Use Prime and Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan to start a 30 gal FW tank for the kids for Christmas. I have a problem I want the tank to be a surprise for the kids but if I set the tank up on Christmas I will be bugged to death with when can we get fish.
Long story short I feel fishless cycle is out will take to long.
Fish-in cycle I feel is the way to go.
So my question is this I am on a well system so do I need to use Prime to treat my water seems to me that it is removing some of what I plan to add with Stability as directed.

My plan is to set up tank on Christmas Eve add the Prime(if needed) if not then Stability and let tank run overnight for surprise Christmas morning. Then take water to be tested after three to four days. Purchase 5 tetras if water test ok let them swim for two weeks and watch them. Then after that add 2 to three fish every two weeks with water test before adding fish. Do a 25% water change every two weeks.

Things I am considering is do I need a complete test kit since I plan to take water to be tested weekly to bi-weekly later after fish added. If I do need a test kit what exactly to I need.

My main question is do I need Prime.

Prime would be beneficial, even on a well.

Yes, you need a test kit. It is a requirement for responsible fish keeping.

Test kit

Do I need an all in one kit (API master test kit) or a kit for specific problem to monitor i.e pH, ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite. Since I was testing often I do not what to watch for between testing.

Bigge_al said:
Do I need an all in one kit (API master test kit) or a kit for specific problem to monitor i.e pH, ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite. Since I was testing often I do not what to watch for between testing.

Master test kit contains all of those. When doing a fish in cycle you will test the water once or twice a day and do water changes with the prime accordingly.

An API is the best way to go! Accurate & economical (in long run).It tests for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph/high-range ph. You will need to test your water daily during fish-in cycling for amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph.

Find someone local with healthy tanks and get some filter media. Use that in your filter as well as the prime and stability. Add one fish and then wait until the bacteria has had a chance to grow. I don't know where you are but if you need help finding someone local you can check out this forum Carolina Fish Talk it is mostly saltwater but they have fresh and some people have both.

Back
Top Bottom