Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to BrutusPleco
Used aquarium and cycling

Bought a used 35 gal. aquarium. Cleaned it , put 6 gals. of water in it from my 29 ga. tank. the rest tap water. Readings are:

Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Hardness soft
Alkalinity Moderate
ph 7.2

Only been cycling for 2 days. How do I know when I can safely add fish?
Thank you for your time!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
Is there a reading for ammonia? I don't think there's enough bacteria in water to properly cycle a tank. I've heard that if you wanted to jumpstart the cycle you could add a bag (like in nylon hose) of gravel from an established aquarium to help your cycle. HTH

Old 07-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

There is not much bacteria, if any, present in the water itself, but it resides on the solid structures in the tank and filter. Running an established filter on the new tank, putting a biowheel, decorations and/or gravel in the new tank from an established tank will help jumpstart things, but it still could take a couple of weeks.

The other issue is that you need to feed the bacteria with ammonia until you get the fish, because it will die without it. Just use plain household (non-sudsing) ammonia to achieve 3-5ppm of ammonia on your test kit. Use that amount every day and see if you start to see nitrite spike and then ammonia and nitrite wind up at zero, even while you are feeding the tank ammonia.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for the advice!!! Should I put a tablespoon of ammonia in the tank daily? Thanks again!!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Get an ammonia test and you want it to go to 5ppm I believe--TG correct me if I am wrong!.
What kind of fish will you be adding?

[center:72b9ad79da] Welcome to AA, BrutusPleco!! [/center:72b9ad79da]

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Right as usual, Menagerie - get a test kit and start out with maybe 1/8 tsp and increase in very small amounts until you reach 5ppm, but keep track of how much it is, and then use that measurement each day - it might be about a tablespoon but I can't remember!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for the advice!! Much appreciated!! Will be adding a large SilverDollar that came with the used aquarium, but now is in my 29 gal. til 35 gal. has cycled. Also going to purchase a couple more silverdollars as I read they like to school. Also a very dark small fish that looks somewhat like a goldfish but I don't think it is a goldfish. Came with the used tank. AND a pleco that we put in our pond with our goldfish. We also have another pleco in the pond.

Actually, I wanted to get a used tank to winter the plecos in. Didn't want anymore fish but was a great deal on the aquarium and stand. $25. Just needed some cleaning up. Came with filter too!!!

The help this forum gives is fantastic!!! Thank you so much!!

Mother to:
7 cats
4 dogs
3 large goldfish in pond
2 plecos in pond
29 gallon
1 large silverdollar
1 small dark orange 2 inch something
6 neons
4 black tetras
2 julii corys they are so cute
2 plecos
too many plecos I think
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate thia forum more than anyone can imagine!!

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com