Used tank, anything to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any tips tricks of things to look for? I have only bought a brand new tank before. Im not worried about the filtration as I will buying new.

Aside from obvious issues like cracks and such. I would just fill her up and do a leak test. If it holds water and doesn't have any structural issues it should be just fine to use.

Look out for chipped corners, large deep scratches and missing silicone. Inspect the silicone and look for bubbles or too much algae in the seams.

What would bubbles have to do with it? Are you talking about ones that keep coming back or ones sort of stuck to the wall

I think they meant bubbles in the silicone. It could mean it was re-sealed or not done right or it's coming loose. Algae under the sealant is also a bad sign. I always make sure to check every part of the seams especially in the lower part of the corners. It seems like a lot of used tanks were used for turtles and they wreak havoc on the seals.

I think they meant bubbles in the silicone. It could mean it was re-sealed or not done right or it's coming loose. Algae under the sealant is also a bad sign. I always make sure to check every part of the seams especially in the lower part of the corners. It seems like a lot of used tanks were used for turtles and they wreak havoc on the seals.

Exactly ^

Well bubbles that could of been cause by filling the tank, like having the bubbles "stick" to the silicone

They aren't a problem at all. When there are bubbles in the silicone itself there is a problem. Where a bubble is could potentially be a weak spot in the seal. Weak seals means its more likely they will leak.

Back
Top Bottom