Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Used tank Cleaning

Getting back into it and I purchased a used tank with filter. Been so long since I owner a tank need to know that to used to clean the filter and tank.
Was thinking 5% bleach to soak filter parts with toothbrush to get up tubes.
Windex to clean inside of tank with good rinsing.
Any help plan to tackle tomorrow to get tank ready for kid on Christmas.
I am on well water and was told to get Prime conditioner. Since I am on well water what do I need to worry about chemical wish. (Iron, ph)

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if your going to use bleach and windex rinse extremely well after using them..ive heard of people diluting vinegar as well to clean tanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya I'd be careful with bleach. You'd have to rinse it extremely well. My mom uses diluted vinegar to clean almost everything around the house as well. I'd try that first. I don't think it's quite as dangerous to the fish.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Use an aquarium safe cleaner from the LFS. No soap for sure. I made that mistake and it cost me like a billion gallons of water flushing everything out and washing every bio ball. Big error on my part. Mosty you can scrub everything with a new blue pad. Get them from the dollar store. Then rinse and youll be good.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I soak used filters in 10% apple cider vinegar for a few hours and then scrub it all down with a tooth brush. I spray the tank with vinegar/water and scrub it all down with a rough sponge. Then rinse everything 5-10 times.

I have used my cousin's well water before and it depends on your area. Test the water before you use it to see what you could be facing or get a test report for your area (if it's available).
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use vinegar and water. If perchance some residue is left, it won't harm the fish.

The vinegar has a bonus feature in that it will dissolve mineral deposits.

Tags
clean, cleaning, tan, tank cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com