Using bio-spira to end cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I am on day 27 of my cycle, and nitrites have been stuck at 1.5 for about 10 days. I bought some bio-spira, it was cold, and i put it in fridge immediately. Should I use it? How do I use it?

Since you bought it you might as well go ahead and use it. Follow the directions on the bottle. Assuming that it was handle properly before getting to you it should finish up your cycle in short order.

I would think if you added the bio spira and fish. Then did a big PWC i think it would be fine.

I have used bio-spira a few times so far...each time adding the product and a full stocking of fish. The results have been solid...cycled in under a week.

K so you think if my nitrites are not below 1.5 tomorrow, the I should add B-S along with dosing ammonia?

hamburgler said:
I would think if you added the bio spira and fish. Then did a big PWC i think it would be fine.

I have used bio-spira a few times so far...each time adding the product and a full stocking of fish. The results have been solid...cycled in under a week.

In a perfect world this is the way to go, but I wouldn't recommend it. You have no idea how the bottle you're going to use has been treated, and I would hate anyone to go through another cycle (now with fish) if it didn't work as expected. The stuff is incredible when properly stored, but that just doesn't happen all that frequently. It's best to take a wait and see approach.

I think using the Biospira and dosing 2-3ppm ammonia will be the best path foreward. You can know very quickly whether the stuff was good, or if it was a waste of money. You also don't have to do a PWC if it doesn't work (I would hate for you to essentially flush some of the good biospira if you got fish but the toxins were still too high).

I agree with 7Enigma completely on this.

I was in a situation close to this with my 55gl. It helped me get over the rut I was stuck in but I didnt add fish. I used it as part of my fishless cycle process.

Back
Top Bottom