Using Bio-Spira to finish off a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt in MN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone.

I purchased some bio spira yesterday to finish off the nitrite spike in my 55g aquarium. It's cycling fishless-ly and is moderately planted. I've been adding ammonia (about a tsp.) everyday to feed my ammonia-eating colony. Should I keep adding the ammonia so that the bio spira doesn't die off as it does it's thing?

Yeah I would keep adding ammonia until you put in your fish.

If you have been doing the fishless cycle properly, you should be able to fully stock that tank once the nitrites disappear. Just remember to do a large water change (50%-70%) before you add fish to get those nitrates down.

Upon adding the BioSpira, you should be ready to add fish now. If you aren't ready yet though, you should keep adding the ammonia to the tank until you are ready for fish. Just wondering, why did you spend the money on BioSpira if you aren't adding fish now? Why didn't you just wait for the cycle to finish? :?:

I just did the same thing Matt. Was doing a fishless cycle and discovered the not so lfs just started carrying Bio-Spira (yay! Now if they only would can the 6g Nemo tank I'd be really happy). Put some in this evening to see if it will drop those nitrites (ammonia is inhaled in 24 hrs, nitrates are between 10-40 ppm, nitrItes thru the roof).

I don't think its a good idea, if one is in the middle of a fishless cycle, to pop in fish after adding the Bio-Spira. Because (in possibly Matt's case and definitely mine) the nitrite levels are just too high even with a water change.

Back
Top Bottom