Using media from established tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I set up my new 20g yesterday and I really don't have the patience to wait weeks for my tank to cycle (my 46 took 27 days). I used Bio-Spira to end my cycle, and within a day it was done. I loved it. I want to use it again, but this time I guess my ammonia source would be fish. Do I need to add the fish then pour it in just after adding them, or wait for them to poop and stuff to let there be an ammonia source, then add the BS. Or, is that the same exact thing in the end? :eek:

Marco,
Don't you have a lot of media in your XP2 that's on your 46? If you pull half of that, and get it into the new tank, I'm willing to bet you won't see a cycle at all.

That's how I run my QT tank. I keep a set of media in my 46 specifically for it, and when I need it - boom, instant cycle.

Yup, add your full bioload at the same time you add biospira.

I would still check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate every day for the first few weeks just to be sure everything is OK. If you buy Biospira from a decent store, you should have no problem, but some people have had issues because this product must be stored refrigerated during shipment and before use.

Ok, the store only had the big packs of biospira and I didn't wanna spend 60 bucks. How can I add some media from my canister. How much as well? Can I use bio balls instead of the white rock thingies taht comes with the AC50 so I never have to replace?

What filter are you running on your 20g? It's pretty simple, cut a piece of your filter pad, leaving it soaking wet and as filthy as it comes out and dump it into the new one. You don't need to use the bio balls or noodles, they will colonize quickly from the live life that is embedded on the pads.

I am running an AC30. In my canister, I have the cloth like thing from my bio wheel (from when i transferred my media from my old HOB to the canister) and the foam that was on the filter cartridge. They are pretty old and filled with gunk. If I just take those two things out along with some bio balls and hang them in a pantyhose, would that be sufficient?

It would be better to put the gunk into the filter .... If you take the sponge out of the AC50 & cut it to fit the AC30, you should have an instant cycle.

Alternatively, you can also run your AC 30 pads in the 50 for a few weeks & seed it that way.

Like many people, I keep the filter pads of my QT in the main tank. Anytime I need to run the QT (or to seed another tank), those pads are more than adaquate to prevent NH3/NO2 spikes.

Alright. Last night I poked holes into a plastic bag and put the media in it. I took out half of the blue foam I had, a handful of bioballs, and the cloth from the bio-wheel. I'll be testing parameters daily.

Back
Top Bottom