Using outside hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kshannon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hopefully my aquarium will arrive today. I have a crazy question, would it be ok to fill it up using the outside hose? Of coarse I am going to add the additives to make the water liveable for tropical fish and let it cycle before adding fish.

This would be a lot easier than carrying buckets of water through the house. Speaking of buckets where do you get your buckets? Is home depots buckets ok as long as they haven't been used for something else?

Thanks!

Kelly

I used the hose when I first filled up & have a home depot bucket I use for aquarium water only.

I also used a hose to fill my new tank and home depot buckets. For future changes, however, you might have a hard time matching water temperature depending on your climate. I bought a plastic adapter that allows my garden hose to attach to my kitchen sink... This way I can adjust the water temperature and use my hose all year!

Thank you for the quick replies! I am going to have to see if I can find an adapter to go on my bathroom faucet.

Kelly

Filling the Tank

Hopefully my aquarium will arrive today. I have a crazy question, would it be ok to fill it up using the outside hose? Of coarse I am going to add the additives to make the water liveable for tropical fish and let it cycle before adding fish.

This would be a lot easier than carrying buckets of water through the house. Speaking of buckets where do you get your buckets? Is home depots buckets ok as long as they haven't been used for something else?

Thanks!

Kelly

Hello Kelly...

Good idea to use the garden hose. Makes filling a large tank much easier. The water is quite a bit colder, but if you're not using fish to cycle the tank, then no harm done.

I'm still using the "bucket" method. But it's good exercise, filling, lifting and going up and down stairs. Anyway, I get my buckets at ACE Hardware for a few dollars each.

B

I used my garden hose to fill up my largest tank the first time, and I even managed to siphon it with the garden hose once or twice. But then I got a water changer that hooks up to my kitchen sink. I highly recommend getting one, it makes water changes much easier. I have the aqueon brand one.

I used a garden hose to fill my 60 gallon for the first time.

I ended up getting an aqueon brand water changer though. It's a lot easier than hauling buckets.

I also used a hose, a modified one anyways, cut the ends off so we could attach it to the kitchen sink. I never had a adapter for mine, now I just use a bucket since it's not far from my sink to my tank, I like being able to control the water temp.

I would stick with the python or aqueon brand hoses. I've always read that outside hoses are actually bad to drink out of and should be left for outside purposes. Some may have success but I value my tank and inhabitants to risk using a garden hose. Just my thoughts.

I use a garden style hose for waterchanges, but i have a "potable water" rated hose for rv's because i have heard in the past that regular garden hoses are treated with mildicides.

You can get drinking water hoses from most the big hardware type stores. I just bought a 50ft one from Big Lots last week. They are usually white or clear in color, but always read the label.

Most of your basic garden hoses have a clear label on them "Not safe for drinking water", so it may be fine but it's a clear gamble.

I would stick with the python or aqueon brand hoses. I've always read that outside hoses are actually bad to drink out of and should be left for outside purposes. Some may have success but I value my tank and inhabitants to risk using a garden hose. Just my thoughts.

Been using our hose for years with no ill effects...Also grew up drinking water from the hose and I'm still kicking. The aqueon hoses are all too short for what I'd need (even with the extensions) and this is much more cost efficient. I just use a good dechlorinator that removes heavy metals to be on the safe side. My fish are all thriving including my discus but I guess it's a personal choice

Been using our hose for years with no ill effects...Also grew up drinking water from the hose and I'm still kicking.

That doesn't mean that it's safe, it was only a few decades ago when lead paint was the standard for interior walls. I drank from water hoses as a kid as well.

I'm not one to jump aboard any overly cautious trend but when a product clearly says that it's not meant to be used for something I do think it warrants a bit of concern. There are several reports and studies that have shown that non-drinking water hoses leach all kinds of chemicals including lead.

garden hose

Apparently, garden hoses are not safe for drinking. Home Depot and other home improvement stores sell "potable water" type hoses. They are either white or blue in color and come in diff. lengths. I use them to fill my tanks.

I use a regular garden hose to refill my aquarium when I do a 100% water change. I just get the hose outside and drag it inside and I just do it.

Re: Garden hoses not for drinking

Honestly, it's good to be cautious but don't always believe what you read. The 100% silicone you buy at the hardware store also says "Not for use on aquariums" but its the same thing as "aquairum" silicone and a LOT cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom