using sand. cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using sand as my substrate for my 10 gallon. As I'm pouring the water in the tank it is very cloudy. Is this normal and will it just go away?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130105_140501.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130105_140501.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130105_140558.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130105_140558.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 40
Most sands need to be rinsed before putting it in the tank. The good news is its a 10g. So take everything out exept the the sand. it to the sink rinse as best as possible. Run your hands in it dain fill with some water. Repeat. Should only take a few time. You won't get it totally clear. Whatever is still there should clear after a day or two.

Thanks, I already rinsed it in a bucket two to three times but ill try. That also.

Yes you have to rinse that a good ten times to get rid all of the excess debris. I used pool filter sand and washed it few times and had no cloudiness at all.

When I used sand for my 6.6 gallon the cloudiness after rinsing and adding only lasted a few hours, the filter did it's job and the heavy particles settled down, at first it's very "Holy cow this looks terrible!", Then once the "dust" settles you'll be very pleased. :)

Most sands need to be rinsed before putting it in the tank. The good news is its a 10g. So take everything out exept the the sand. it to the sink rinse as best as possible. Run your hands in it dain fill with some water. Repeat. Should only take a few time. You won't get it totally clear. Whatever is still there should clear after a day or two.

Thanks rinsing again. Helped a good amount. I can actually see my rock now x)

When I used sand for my 6.6 gallon the cloudiness after rinsing and adding only lasted a few hours, the filter did it's job and the heavy particles settled down, at first it's very "Holy cow this looks terrible!", Then once the "dust" settles you'll be very pleased. :)

Cool! Hopefully it works the same for me!

Did your filter tend to kick up any of the sand and did it make it worse?

I turned my flow down a lot since it was my bettas tank so no it didn't kick it up, it swirled it about for a few hours until things were contained and settled though

Back
Top Bottom