Using water from one tank to another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigHoss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 12g tank that I've had running for 4 years now and I'm starting a 50g setup. My question is can I use water from a wc on my established tank and use it to get the cycle going on the new tank? Any opinions are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not going to help, you'd be better off using whatever filter media you can spare from the 12 and seeding the new. If you're transferring fish and your nitrates are on the high side you should use some old tank water yes..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't plan on moving any fish but the nitrates are rather high before I do a wc. Would it hurt at all to try it? I have moved some of the media to the new one but that hasn't seemed to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All it will do is add nitrates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup Brookster is right. There is almost no bacteria in the water column, so it really won't do anything to help.

They always say that moving some filter media will make it cycle instantly, but that has never been true for me. I will always have a cycle, at least jumpstarted but still a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom