Using water treatments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You, likely, don't need to worry about chlorine/chloramine. Most, if not all, conditioners do more than handle chlorine/chloramine though. They neutralize certain heavy metals that may be present in the water and add "slime coat" boosting stuff. Some even add vitamins and stuff. IMO, I would use it anyway.

Using a Water Treatment

I was wondering if I need to purchase dechlorinator or not for my 10 gal tank. Our water comes directly from an underground spring.

Hello lat...

If you don't keep fish in this tank, then you don't need to treat the tap water. The plants are unaffected by the chemicals the city puts into the water so we can safely drink it.

However, ammonia, chlorine and chloramine are toxic to fish. So, if you're putting fish into the tank, you'll need to use a product that removes these chemicals.

B

+1. And Even if the water does come from a spring, I'd still get something along the lines of Prime to help neutralize the heavy metals. I used to use well water and think I didn't I had to use a dechlor. Ended up with tons of dead fish :/ I'd just do it as a safety precaution. Better safe than sorry.

Adding a conditioner according to the manufacturers recommended amount will not hurt anything, whether you need the conditioner or not. Adding more than recommended, however, can reduce oxygen levels.

David

Back
Top Bottom