UV sterilizer advice - Nitrate advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeAnne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wasn't sure where to put this but since I am relatively new and have made all the newbie mistakes last spring - got some questions

1) Been reading up on UV sterilizers but not sure what size to buy - I have a 90 gal freshwater tank with possibly heavier bioload - I have angels, gouramis, odessa barbs, cherry barbs and others thrown in - been starting to get brown algae and lost a couple of fish this week. Want to do the best for my babies so UV sterilizer sounds like a good add-on. I have a Fluval 405 filter.

2) Still having high nitrates - other than PWC weekly - what else can I do? Anything to add to my filtration? Anyone with experience on those Aquaripure denitrators? Hesitant because of the big bucks involved - but really worried about nitrates. I just got a python type water changer so no more broken back from hauling water. Any advice other than the obvious (frequent PWC) would be helpful and most appreciated.

I started a 90-gal community tank in mid July and just absolutely love it - I also have a 75 gal (because of kids) that has approx 20 inch clown knife fish, 2 flowerhorn cichlids, a large golden pleco. It has the Fluval FX or whatever it is - the big boy - on it.

Any chance your high nitrates are coming from your water source? Im dealing with this now and im not sure what to do (reverse osmosis system on the house?). Besides pwcs, lots of plants are the other obvious solution to help lower nitrates. Im not familar with uv systems so im not going to be of much help there. Good luck!

Thought about R/O also - am going to recheck my tap water again - did it a while back and found no nitrates but wouldn't hurt to check again.

I set the tank up in July after my 55 gal sprung a leak in the middle of the night necessitating me to go shopping the next day! I salvaged the water, all decor, gravel, etc. to help with the cycling of the 90 gal. and it seemed to go fine. It has been doing great until this past month. I did a 30% water change three days ago and plan on another 1/2 tomorrow with good cleaning out of the filter and changing the carbon (I know not to change out everything at once) and rinse the foam in used tank water.

Just want to do all I can to keep my babies healthy!

Hm that's odd. If you do plan on R/O water you need to add in nutrients, RO Rite I believe? or mix in tap water. R/O water has no TDS, (total dissolved solids) so they'd have to be introduced somehow.

Back
Top Bottom