Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam180 View Post
I am running dual Fluval 406's that have 4 media trays each. In the bottom tray of both is BioFoam, in the 2nd and 3rd trays is BioMax and in the top trays are a water polisher followed by Purigen. I have not seen a single trace of Nitrites, ever. My nitrAtes are at around 2.5 to 5ppm range which is from my tap water.

I don't mean any offense to anyone and I really appreciate your replies and advice, but I think the thing I'm finding the most frustrating in this hobby is that it seems like nearly everyone has their own opinion of what is right and what is wrong in how to do things. I wish there were some sort of standard that the majority could agree on because it makes it incredibly difficult to choose which person to believe.
"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Also, the short answer is you can't really vacuum out BB because they live primarily in your filter. My bare bottom tank is cycled with nothing but the filter, so the gravel is not a huge factor when it comes to the bacterial side of things.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I find each of us has different experience. We pass on what we know has worked for us in the hopes a piece in there will help.

I've heard of cycling taking 2 months and from memory 3 on a few occasions but 6 weeks and nothing going on does seem slow to me.

Prime should not prevent the cycle developing although I would think it slows it down. Are you dosing just the normal amount or over dosing to cover the high ammonia?

The two filters sound fine. Nothing is jumping out there. The fish in cycle should be providing any minor nutrients needed by bacteria so that also should be ok.

I would see if you can get a handful of gravel from the lfs to seed the filters just in case. Next up I would actually try running one filter in a garbage bin of old tank water. No fish so you could leave off the prime.
Sorry for this long post, but I may as well give you the whole scenario:

May 7th - Set up 75g tank with single Fluval 406 filter, 200W Aqueon heater, 2 airstones.
May 9th - Added 6 Black Skirt Tetras.
May 12th - Added 4 Angelicus Botia Loaches
May 20th - Added 6 Red Wag Platies, added 3rd airstone
May 27th - Added 4 Yellow Guppies
June 3rd - Added 2 additional Angelicus Botia Loaches, also added 2nd Fluval 406 Filter, changed out starter carbon in top tray of original filter as well as placed into the new filter for 2 bags each of Purigen. Changed out starter carbon in 2nd trays down with additional BioMax. Cleaned original filter with dechlorinated tap water. Began dosing tank with Seachem Prime.
June 10th - Added 4 additional Black Skirt Tetras

Ammonia has been steadily climbing over the past few weeks and is now in the 2 to 4ppm range. I have been doing approximately 30% pwc's every 4-6 days. I am done adding fish for now until the tank cycles. Tomorrow (Friday June 20th) will be 6 weeks to the day since I added the first fish in. I decided to try Seachem Stability starting this past Sunday but so far have seen no results. I'm thinking the product is either ineffective or just that I waited too long to add it and the ammonia levels are too high for it to be effective. As for Prime, I am dosing two capfuls per day which is enough for 100 gallons. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of LFS aside from PetCo, PetSmart and a small hole-in-the-wall place that doesn't offer much of anything other than fish. I asked them about getting some gravel and they said they don't offer that service. All he would do is test my water which I don't really need.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Also, the short answer is you can't really vacuum out BB because they live primarily in your filter. My bare bottom tank is cycled with nothing but the filter, so the gravel is not a huge factor when it comes to the bacterial side of things.

I thought it sounded ridiculous, but I had read a few places that it was a possibility so it got me wondering. I'm probably just overthinking it..
Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I know this has nothing to do with vacuuming bb but more on point to the ammonia levels in your tank, obtaining established media will do wonders for your situation. I would contact fish clubs in your area. AA member MrFisher sells established sponges that can be cut to fit your canister filters.
I transferred some filter media (sponge + ceramic media) from an established filter to a new filter in a new tank and did a fish less cycle; by end of day 6 it was converting 4 ppm of ammonia within 24 hours.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I know this has nothing to do with vacuuming bb but more on point to the ammonia levels in your tank, obtaining established media will do wonders for your situation. I would contact fish clubs in your area. AA member MrFisher sells established sponges that can be cut to fit your canister filters.
I transferred some filter media (sponge + ceramic media) from an established filter to a new filter in a new tank and did a fish less cycle; by end of day 6 it was converting 4 ppm of ammonia within 24 hours.
Yeah, maybe I'll have to do some looking around then. But on the other hand, don't I run the risk of obtaining a disease?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I'll have to do some looking around then. But on the other hand, don't I run the risk of obtaining a disease?

Not any more of a risk when purchasing fish or plants. Find a reputable provider that has reviews and user feedback.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Purchasing established media you probably run less risk because the bacteria are grown using pure ammonia.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #18
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Sorry for this long post, but I may as well give you the whole scenario:

May 7th - Set up 75g tank with single Fluval 406 filter, 200W Aqueon heater, 2 airstones.

May 9th - Added 6 Black Skirt Tetras.

May 12th - Added 4 Angelicus Botia Loaches

May 20th - Added 6 Red Wag Platies, added 3rd airstone

May 27th - Added 4 Yellow Guppies

June 3rd - Added 2 additional Angelicus Botia Loaches, also added 2nd Fluval 406 Filter, changed out starter carbon in top tray of original filter as well as placed into the new filter for 2 bags each of Purigen. Changed out starter carbon in 2nd trays down with additional BioMax. Cleaned original filter with dechlorinated tap water. Began dosing tank with Seachem Prime.

June 10th - Added 4 additional Black Skirt Tetras

Ammonia has been steadily climbing over the past few weeks and is now in the 2 to 4ppm range. I have been doing approximately 30% pwc's every 4-6 days. I am done adding fish for now until the tank cycles. Tomorrow (Friday June 20th) will be 6 weeks to the day since I added the first fish in. I decided to try Seachem Stability starting this past Sunday but so far have seen no results. I'm thinking the product is either ineffective or just that I waited too long to add it and the ammonia levels are too high for it to be effective. As for Prime, I am dosing two capfuls per day which is enough for 100 gallons. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of LFS aside from PetCo, PetSmart and a small hole-in-the-wall place that doesn't offer much of anything other than fish. I asked them about getting some gravel and they said they don't offer that service. All he would do is test my water which I don't really need.

It's possible (even with using old tank water for any washing) that this killed off bacteria. Just speculating here. I've done that where I have had the impeller block just after cleaning and in breaking the filter down twice somehow caused a mini-cycle.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello sam...

Welcome to what I call "the water keeping" hobby. This hobby isn't an exact science, there are many ways to succeed. The only thing you can rely on in this hobby is that 99.9 percent of the things that can go wrong are water related. If you maintain pure water conditions all the time by removing and replacing a lot of tank water and doing it regularly, your fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B
Old 06-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

while in a cycle when canI replace the filter cartridges on an over the top filter they been on for a month with an occasional dip in the water
is it better to dip the new cartridges in bucket with old tank water or the prime bucket.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com