Very aggressive/Predatory fish for a 60g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking into getting a very aggressive fish that will fit in my 60g tank and will give very entertaining feeding times. I of course wont only feed it live fish, the diet will consist of pellets as well. I have had experience with flowerhorns and tiger oscars (the oscar lived 9 years) but neither had quite the aggressiveness that I want. I also don't want red belly piranhas. I'm located in Canada so I don't think I can get snakeheads, I'm not completely sure on the laws involving them. I will also be getting a 100g ish tank once I move into my new house and have more space. So the fish must be able to fit in this 60g tank for at least 6-9 months.

I'm new on here so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(Edit: People said my OP was a tad... "Sick." Sorry. I just wanted to make it clear what I wanted. I've helped care for snakes before and I always thought that it was very entertaining to watch them eat and strike. So thats kind of what I meant. Didn't mean to offend anyone...)

I'm not sure of their needs but check out, Osteoglossum Bicirrhosum / Arawana. Check it out!

Hahaha well, that won't work! Haha there goes my 2cents!

No, you're not...... I'm wondering if an anger management class might be in order here.....

Maybe, just a little rewording. People keep predatory snakes and other reptile. Malawi eye biters are considered predators in a few books I've read. There are a lot of predators kept as pets. So people see there aggression as "power" and/or "strength"... Maybe our friend here just needs to reword his thread... Just saying.

Most "Predatory and aggressive" fish you find in LFS come from fish farms or are tank raised and do better on a staple diet of high quality pellets.

Feeding live fish gives little to no nutrition to the larger fish and actually has a better chance of getting the fish sick or giving them a disease that affects there internal organs because they've had to much protein.

IMO wanting a fish for only this purpose is not responsible fish keeping. If you want to see that kind of stuff watch shark week on discovery.

So, i'm in canada and i breed 5 types of snake head, plus i have lots of wild predator in my collecion as predator and aggressive are my favorite...

I dont tell people who likes small fish and plant that they are biz or anything that is a bad commentary about what those person keep as fish...

So if you want more info, i keep lots of cichlid of every type, lots of predator and lots of snakehead, so you can send me private message and i'll help.

Remember that the most aggressive are not all carnivorus...and you have 60 gal. not 150 or more. For some monster fish you need 300 gal. + and even pond!!!

Theres a lot of choice at 60 gal. though! There is choice in 30 gal. So for a 60 we will find something. Lots of chance that you will finish with one or 2 fish maximum and lots of chance that those 2 will be the same species!!

I have 2 cuban bean cichlid that are pretty aggressive and they can live in a 60 gal.

As a one species tank with maybe an ancystrus and some cory if they are there and big before those cichlid gets in!

I'll wait for your message!

Thanks everyone for your replys, sorry if I've offended anyone. No I don't want a fish for only this reason, my oscar recently died and I want a new fish. So the diet will consist mainly of pellets, with some feeders mixed in. Unless the diet mainly calls for live prey of some sort. What about a vampire fish (rhaphiodon vulpinus, hydrolycus scomberoides) or an African tiger fish? I want a fish that has some mean looking teeth. I am upgrading the tank size within 6-9 months so please take that into consideration before saying a certain fish wont fit in a 60g tank.

Thanks again.

Sometimes the best laid plans for upgrading to a larger tank don't come to fruition..... so I never recommend species based on a tank that the fishkeeper does not yet have.

+ 1 Linda!

African tiger fish is a giant if you apeak of hydrocynus goliath and i have one!!! They are great but giant!! One or 2 need a 180 gal.!!min

Vampire tetra becomes such big to, yiu will need 150 gal. For 1-2 and for a school 200+ gal.!! Great fish though, i had 5 but i sold them to someone who has more 100 gal. For them!! I did 6 month and the went from 2 inch to 8 inch...

Well, they don't have impressive teeth, but if you're looking for something simple that will really get in there and make a show, I'd go for a black bullhead catfish. I've had parihanas and even a gar, and the catfish makes them look meek in comparison. A nice-sized one (easily maintained in a 60gal tank) will hit on feeders almost as soon as they hit the water. If you're looking for a bit of a show, try feeding them the occassional crayfish as well.

As for the rest of you who are so offended by the initial request ~ seriously?! Why do you all think that individuals keep aggressive tanks either freshwater or salt? I have in the past, don't anymore but really? Lets be a little less judgmental. If you don't like the thread and can't be helpful to the original question, move on without commenting.

MonsterfishGuy said:
+ 1 Linda!

African tiger fish is a giant if you apeak of hydrocynus goliath and i have one!!! They are great but giant!! One or 2 need a 180 gal.!!min

180 gallons are you kidding me?! Hydrocynus goliath, also known as the goliath tigerfish, giant tigerfish or mbenga, is a very large African fish from the Congo River Basin. This large-toothed, highly predatory fish grows to a length of 4.9 ft and a weight of 110 lb.

image-2850978758.jpg

I really don't think that's a fish for a tank, maybe a large swimming pool.

Mogurako said:
180 gallons are you kidding me?! Hydrocynus goliath, also known as the goliath tigerfish, giant tigerfish or mbenga, is a very large African fish from the Congo River Basin. This large-toothed, highly predatory fish grows to a length of 4.9 ft and a weight of 110 lb.

I really don't think that's a fish for a tank, maybe a large swimming pool.

They wont get that big in a tank, they tend to stay under 24 inch if you dont feed like a maniac!!

But yes its better in a pond or at least 300 gal.

MonsterfishGuy said:
They wont get that big in a tank, they tend to stay under 24 inch if you dont feed like a maniac!!

But yes its better in a pond or at least 300 gal.

I just find it odd that a fish that can get 5' in the wild only gets 24" In a tank. Something about that just doesn't add up.

All thats important there is that he cant with the tank he has or want!!

Mine is in a 400 gal. And im not able to push him more that 24 inch.

There is another hydrocynus that stay under 2 feets with the exact same look and shape!

I think this thread was taken a little out of hand... Aren't there freshwater stingray that you can get in a tank? I don't know anything about them but it's a thought?

Back
Top Bottom