Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Bez
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Very aggressive/Predatory fish for a 60g tank

I was looking into getting a very aggressive fish that will fit in my 60g tank and will give very entertaining feeding times. I of course wont only feed it live fish, the diet will consist of pellets as well. I have had experience with flowerhorns and tiger oscars (the oscar lived 9 years) but neither had quite the aggressiveness that I want. I also don't want red belly piranhas. I'm located in Canada so I don't think I can get snakeheads, I'm not completely sure on the laws involving them. I will also be getting a 100g ish tank once I move into my new house and have more space. So the fish must be able to fit in this 60g tank for at least 6-9 months.

I'm new on here so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(Edit: People said my OP was a tad... "Sick." Sorry. I just wanted to make it clear what I wanted. I've helped care for snakes before and I always thought that it was very entertaining to watch them eat and strike. So thats kind of what I meant. Didn't mean to offend anyone...)

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure of their needs but check out, Osteoglossum Bicirrhosum / Arawana. Check it out!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bez View Post
I pretty much want a fish that will rip smaller fish apart.

average sizes for arowana in a home tank is 3 feet...... I'd say minimum tank is 180 gallons
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hahaha well, that won't work! Haha there goes my 2cents!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Am I the only one that finds this a little sick?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, you're not...... I'm wondering if an anger management class might be in order here.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe, just a little rewording. People keep predatory snakes and other reptile. Malawi eye biters are considered predators in a few books I've read. There are a lot of predators kept as pets. So people see there aggression as "power" and/or "strength"... Maybe our friend here just needs to reword his thread... Just saying.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most "Predatory and aggressive" fish you find in LFS come from fish farms or are tank raised and do better on a staple diet of high quality pellets.

Feeding live fish gives little to no nutrition to the larger fish and actually has a better chance of getting the fish sick or giving them a disease that affects there internal organs because they've had to much protein.

IMO wanting a fish for only this purpose is not responsible fish keeping. If you want to see that kind of stuff watch shark week on discovery.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, i'm in canada and i breed 5 types of snake head, plus i have lots of wild predator in my collecion as predator and aggressive are my favorite...

I dont tell people who likes small fish and plant that they are biz or anything that is a bad commentary about what those person keep as fish...

So if you want more info, i keep lots of cichlid of every type, lots of predator and lots of snakehead, so you can send me private message and i'll help.

Remember that the most aggressive are not all carnivorus...and you have 60 gal. not 150 or more. For some monster fish you need 300 gal. + and even pond!!!

Theres a lot of choice at 60 gal. though! There is choice in 30 gal. So for a 60 we will find something. Lots of chance that you will finish with one or 2 fish maximum and lots of chance that those 2 will be the same species!!

I have 2 cuban bean cichlid that are pretty aggressive and they can live in a 60 gal.

As a one species tank with maybe an ancystrus and some cory if they are there and big before those cichlid gets in!

I'll wait for your message!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Bez
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replys, sorry if I've offended anyone. No I don't want a fish for only this reason, my oscar recently died and I want a new fish. So the diet will consist mainly of pellets, with some feeders mixed in. Unless the diet mainly calls for live prey of some sort. What about a vampire fish (rhaphiodon vulpinus, hydrolycus scomberoides) or an African tiger fish? I want a fish that has some mean looking teeth. I am upgrading the tank size within 6-9 months so please take that into consideration before saying a certain fish wont fit in a 60g tank.

Thanks again.

Tags
60 gallon, aggressive, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com