Very hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duck645

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Both of my 10 gallon tanks have ''Very hard'' water. Is this going to be a problem? I know that my rasbora het. prefer softer water but is that a need? How do i get the water to soften? (without all that crazy reverse osmosis ion reverser stuff)

How hard is hard? Mine is between 8.2-8.6 depending in the tank. I do not have those fish but have a variety of others that have thrived. It is better to maintain a consistent ph rather than tweaking it to the fish. They will adapt to ph

What exactly are you using to test your 'very hard' water? If its strips, they are not very reliable. I wouldnt be too concerned unless you are trying to keep an exotic species of fish. Take your time to drip acclimate any new fish and there shouldnt be any problems.

I'm using test strips unfortunately. My general hardness is about 250 ppm (idk how bad that is) and my ph is slightly acidic at about 6.6. Is it best to get a real test kit?

Definitely get a liquid test kit. API has a good test kit that includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and high range pH.

I will agree that it is better to have stable ph than to try and achieve a perfect ph. Ph swings cause far more problems than consistent ph. I raise discus with a ph of 7.8 for several years.

Back
Top Bottom