Very Hard Water, Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peachykeen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I have had fish for years and then went on a two year hiatus when my fish finally died out after many years of companionship. I've always had fresh water aquariums, with gouramis, guppies, tetras, mollies, goldfish, snails, bettas, etc. I've never ever had problems with my tanks, my fish always lasted a long time and were healthy, but I have recently moved to a lake and we are on well water. I did some research before buying but apparently there is really nothing I can do to soften the water. Well, i should have researched what FISH to buy, it never even crossed my mind that certain breeds can handle hard water better. :(

Two weeks ago I bought 4 big tetras, one as all pink, one was all blue, two were lined with bright purple, they were very pretty. In two days, the purples died but the two others seemed very hardy. I thought it might be an issue with the supplier as the store was a small local one and had barely any stock in it, and told me they had an Ick problem. I then bought from PetSmart last weekend 5 neon tetras, 2 other breed I cant recall, and a jumbo shrimp. One neon tetra was unwell from purchase but I live too far to bring it back, and it died within 3days (it constantly bobbed at the surface) Another tetra died and both of the unknown breed died as well. Yesterday my pretty blue tetra died and I am just so sad. It's hard flushing fish, I have NEVER had this problem before and its heartbreaking.

I am going to test the PH later this week but I know the problem would be the hard water. Or could it be stress from a new aquarium?? I was considering getting feeder fish to start out with but the fish guy from the local store talked me out of it so I didnt. Now I wish I had. :(

What fish can I get that thrive in a hard water environment? A quick google search has given me some conflicting information.

I feel so terribly that all these fish have died, what can I do differently? :confused: I want to learn.

Thank you for reading this :)

You can use an RO/DI system if your water is really bad. Peat is a low-tech way to soften your water, but it's a little trickier.

It sounds like your tetras were dyed. It's really a cruel practice with a high mortality rate. Petsmart stock is usually pretty suspect.

Did you cycle your tank? I suspect that your tank's cycle, not the hard water, did your fish in. Search cycling here on AA. It should give you plenty of information. In the meantime, get yourself a good liquid test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You'll need to do daily 50% partial water changes (PWCs) until your ammonia and nitrite levels spike and go back to zero.

If no one said it before, welcome to AA!

I agree. Just about any fish available will survive "hard" water. Some won't breed, but they will live healthily. Fish are adaptable and a great many of them are farmed at varied water parameters. IF properly acclimated to a CYCLED tank, they'll be fine.

I'd suggest that you read the articles on cycling and acclimation and then ask any specific questions you may have. Welcome to AA and back to fishkeeping! :)

Thanks guys, I will do that. I was told by two fish people, one worked at PetSmart, the other at the local fish store that I would be fine without cycling and that the ammonia levels might cause some stress at the three week point. I should have trusted my gut. I know I didnt cycle when I first got into fishat the tender age of 8, but the hard water could be making it worse on them?

Since I have some fish remaining can I still cycle it? Oh I will go check out threads about it :)

I am going to ask the LFS if they dye the fish... that is horrible!!! I should have asked, how do they even dye fish!? Oh my!

I don't think the hardness of your water will really matter (short term or long) as long as you get through the cycle and acclimate well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Great thread, thank you!! I am literally broke until Friday due to a miscalculation of funds by my S.O, so I absolutely have to wait until then to get the testing kit. -7 dollars in my chequing account :shocked!:

My last pink tetra is dying. :( She has ich spots all over her, this just happened as of today.None of the others that died showed signs of Ich. Should I remove the three neon tetras that are still alive and put them in my small betta tank? It's a little tank, probably 3 gallons (I am guesstimating) and it houses one male betta and a little neon tetra. The betta and tetra have no issues at all, appear very healthy. Should I move the neon tetras from the big tank or just leave them in there?? I'm thinking I should just leave them in the big tank with the shrimp, but I also dont want to kill them. :( Boy do I feel bad, I really thought it would be as simple as it was the first time, I really should have done my research and not listened to the pet store peeps. I would have done a fishless cycle, thats for sure.

P.S- Is there anything I can do to save my tetra?? She is staying at the top of the water line, not looking to good. She looks like she is in the classic pre-death stages fish go through. :(

Water change, water change, water change. Regular, large water changes will provide hope. No test kit required to do PWCs and they're almost free. ;)

Never mind my question about moving the neon tetras, they all have Ich. :*(

Do all fish stores have Ich? I know its fairly common, what should I do? Should I try to treat it or? If I up the temp or add anything will it make the cycling worst?

Pretty much, yes.

Getting through the cycle is the most important thing IMO. You can treat with heat / salt while doing needed water changes. It's a little more complicated, but... be very wary of any LFS advice that includes chemicals or anything with "quick" or "easy" in the name.

Good luck!

I've done a big water change today and will do more every day. I was doing it every 3 days, another mistake on my part. *bangs head*

Now that my entire tank has Ich I am not quite sure what to do. I think I may start all over again with healthier stock... Do shrimps carry the disease? He seems well. I might get another small few gallon tank for the neon tetras if they survive come pay day. What a mess, I am just kicking myself all over the place.

Don't let yourself get down about it. We've all been there and most of us will admit it. ;)

Pretty much, yes.

Getting through the cycle is the most important thing IMO. You can treat with heat / salt while doing needed water changes. It's a little more complicated, but... be very wary of any LFS advice that includes chemicals or anything with "quick" or "easy" in the name.

Good luck!

I'm keeping it going, I am just so disheartened now :( I have never had Ich before, this is a first. I had fish for about 12 years, never any issues whatsoever. Is there something I should buy? I dont want to do the meds because I'm sure it would only cause them more stress so I will try the temp change. I have to use aquarium salt, right?

Thanks very much for your help HN1 :) I really appreciate it.

So one more question, last one I promise lol. How do I get rid of Ich after I remove the fish? Can I empty it and will hot water and scrubbing work to get rid of it in the aquarium? I'm buying a small aquarium off a friend, its already started and I'm going to keep the neons and shrimp in there and start new with my big aquarium and buy fish when its done cycling. I just want to make sure I clean it out great so there's no potential to get Ich in the future.

Thanks for that Ich thread :)

The ich can't live without a host for long. I forget the exact times of the life cycle, but I'll google "Ich life cycle" when I get the chance. Hot water or a bleach solution should work as well. Just be sure to rinse very well.

All my tetras died in the night :( I was picking up the aquarium today. I will still pick it up and put some of the rocks in my tank to get the good bacteria flowing. Hopefully the shrimp survives, I googled it and apparently they cannot carry Ich so that is good. My only survivor.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom