Very Noisy Filter- PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't put the top back on once I took everything apart! I did plug it in once i cleaned it to see where the noise was coming from- its the impeller/motor. I also made sure I had everything pushed in correctly & its still making noise. I'll try again this evening.

Definitely call them. I will say mine makes noise sometimes after a water change. I unplug it and quickly plug it back in. No issues.

Well, I just hung up with customer service & didn't get any helpful information that I haven't tried/done already! I did however get "send us your motor & we'll take a look at it & replace if need be"! My response was, what about my fish being w/o a filter? The lady came back at me & said "just fax a copy of your receipt & we'll send you another impeller or you can just take it back to the store where you got it. Why didn't you do that first before of calling us"!

I'm over it now! Researching to see what other filter I can get that's quiet! Thank you for all of your help.

Well, I just hung up with customer service & didn't get any helpful information that I haven't tried/done already! I did however get "send us your motor & we'll take a look at it & replace if need be"! My response was, what about my fish being w/o a filter? The lady came back at me & said "just fax a copy of your receipt & we'll send you another impeller or you can just take it back to the store where you got it. Why didn't you do that first before of calling us"!

I'm over it now! Researching to see what other filter I can get that's quiet! Thank you for all of your help.

I basically got that same response but in email form. When I asked them what I would do without a filter they avoided the question all together. That's when I stopped communicating.

I just bought a new fluval 10 mins ago... I guess I'm a masochist lol

In regards to customer service, I am fairly surprised. I had a fluval heater 300w that burnt out on me and they offered to ship me a new one if I send my older one. This was via email.

In regards to the topic, I was told that if you put Vaseline on the impeller, it will quiet it down a bit. You may have to reapply once every few months.

Hmm very interesting, I just had a whisper 10-30i start making grinding noises and was planning on picking up an AC70 to replace it, wondering if that's a good idea now since it sounds like several people are having the same problem I am having with my whispers

Hmm very interesting, I just had a whisper 10-30i start making grinding noises and was planning on picking up an AC70 to replace it, wondering if that's a good idea now since it sounds like several people are having the same problem I am having with my whispers

I still say its a great filter and I still will continue to use them.

There is always gonna be some isolated issues. Look at me, I had a fx5 canister. Everyone was raving about the fx5. Nothing but problems. Humming sounds, grinding and leaking. I tossed it and but my AC110's back on. Couldn't be happier. Everyone is gonna have different experiences.

I actually had a noise issue just like yours. I bought an AC20 that I kept in the box until earlier this month. It made noise from the start and started getting a little louder day by day. I came on here and saw all the great comments about them so I figured something wasn't right. I went to a completely different store and bought the same exact model and set them up side by side. The new one made a little bit of noise in the beginning but nothing like the first. Fast forward a few weeks to now and I can't even hear it, I have to check it when I pass by just to make sure it's still on. I'd look into switching it out if you can. I hope you have the same luck as me :).

I actually had a noise issue just like yours. I bought an AC20 that I kept in the box until earlier this month. It made noise from the start and started getting a little louder day by day. I came on here and saw all the great comments about them so I figured something wasn't right. I went to a completely different store and bought the same exact model and set them up side by side. The new one made a little bit of noise in the beginning but nothing like the first. Fast forward a few weeks to now and I can't even hear it, I have to check it when I pass by just to make sure it's still on. I'd look into switching it out if you can. I hope you have the same luck as me :).

Thank you- that's actually my plan this weekend! I pray it works bc I've heard do many good things about them as well! I do understand that everything isn't perfect & it could have been some that slipped out of the factory that they meant to get rid of lol!

I'm a newbie, have only had my 55g tank up for a few weeks now. I tried Aqueon quietflow, and marineland penguins and both were way louder than the two aquaclear 70's I have now, thanks to the excellent advice from this forum.
Most people seem to like the aquaclears the best. Maybe you just got a lemon. I remember the instructions also saying that you need to make sure the filters are level.
Certainly understand not wanting to deal with a company that gave you poor customer service though.

I just finished setting up the exchanged AC70 & verdict is: THIS ONE IS A LOT QUIETER! Still not 100% silent but I'm going to give it a couple of weeks. I spend so much money at Petco grooming my dog, they know me by name so the manger said if its a little over the 30 days, he'll still exchange it for me. Now that's great customer service!

I normally don't get fish from them but this gorgeous guppy was screaming for me to rescue him from that small tank lol.

I just received and replaced the impeller for my Emporer 400 and it is MUCH quieter. I also so someone use vaseline on the impeller and the shaft that goes through all the pieces to make it even quieter. I just replaced mine without the vaseline treatment but I might try it later on if this one gets loud again.

Back
Top Bottom