Very Noisy Filter- PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virtuous23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm so excited about my 75g fresh water tank! I have a aquaclear & this is my first time using this brand! I'm use to only hearing the soothing sounds of water dip but with this filter I'm hearing thus annoying loud sound like it's on it's last leg or something. Please help me! :hide:

Thank you, Nikkie

I'm so excited about my 75g fresh water tank! I have a aquaclear & this is my first time using this brand! I'm use to only hearing the soothing sounds of water dip but with this filter I'm hearing thus annoying loud sound like it's on it's last leg or something. Please help me! :hide:

Thank you, Nikkie

This is the second thread read I've read about these filters. I gotta say I've had 2 AC110's on my 75 gallon and other then the rattle coming from the top mine are quite and I recommend them all the time.

Is the motor positioned right? Maybe take is off check the the impeller, assure its seated correctly. Or maybe sand or something got sucked up.

I clean my entire HOB out every other month just about as the holding bin will collect ALOT of debris.

Sorry your having issues. I don't like to see people frustrated with a product especially a product I like and recommend.

Also.... Maybe call the company and see what they say?

Also just thought of this. You didn't run it did you? When you start it up start filing the bin with water. Don't let it try and self prime.

Thank you, I've always used Marineland & I was told this one was better! I'm try taking it all apart again & stay over. Let's see what happens- fingers crossed

Wow!! Just WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!! I gotta say I'm in TOTAL shock!! I just called Hagan and explained the issue as if it were my own, then went on to say a few of my friends are having issues with them as well...

I explained your issue and the other persons issue with them. All the while stating "friends"

Further more I stated that I love the filters and I recommend them to others and I've even read in some fish hobby forums that others are experiencing the same issues. I asked the person if they've heard of this issues and what suggestions they would have to rectify them.

Well... To my total surprise. She would NOT answer my questions. She went on to tell me she's not allowed to offer advice or make a statement? I made sure I was clear, I said again very respectfully, that me along with friends own them and are experiencing issues with rattling and noise. That I own 2 and also have 1 on standby just incase.

She flat out refused to answer anything saying only that they have no issues and she almost sounded nervous.

She told me to call the main office and leave a message. I replied with, I'm calling you, customer service. She answered with she cannot answer my questions and then without any warning transferred me to a voice mail...

I will not bash this company as I know it's against forum rules. But I think this is very important that people know I called as a customer and got no help.

I will however say I'm extremely displeased with the outcome of the phone call and will be calling back.

Not a good way for a CSR to handle this at all IMHO. If calling get the manager or whoever is on top. Good luck, Nikkie

Now that's not a good sign at all! Customer service is extremely important to me, esp being a business owner!

I did take it apart and wiped everything out. And yes, I did feel with water first before plugging it up. It is a little quicker but not silent like I'm use too. The top isn't on because that makes it rattle even more. We'll see what happens at the end if the week. Hopefully it gets better, if not I'll return it but I don't know what to replace it with. Decisions decisions decisions...

Thank you for calling

Now that's not a good sign at all! Customer service is extremely important to me, esp being a business owner!

I did take it apart and wiped everything out. And yes, I did feel with water first before plugging it up. It is a little quicker but not silent like I'm use too. The top isn't on because that makes it rattle even more. We'll see what happens at the end if the week. Hopefully it gets better, if not I'll return it but I don't know what to replace it with. Decisions decisions decisions...

Thank you for calling

I took my tops off and removed that useless grey insert thing. And.... I'm calling again lol. I won't be treated like that after owning several of there filters and always speaking highly of them. I'll post back.

Maybe we should all call..I dont own one, but that will get their
attention :D

Well I called again. Spoke with a manager, there shipping me a new impeller. I'll ship it to you of you want.

He said take the motor off, take the impeller out. Clean around with Q-tip and when seating it make sure the metal rod is firmly on place. He said if its not the impeller will rattle around causing a grinding noise.

Hope this helps and if you want that part lemme know. I didn't ask for it but he offered so I took it. Said it will be here Friday.

My aquaclear 50 made that horrible noise at first too! Rattled worse with the top on and everything. I don't know what the deal with it was, but I think it just took a while to break itself in. After about a week and taking it all apart twice, I stopped hearing the noise and its never been a problem again.
I can't believe customer service did that! Wow!

Hey don't blame customer service I work a job like that that we are told we will lose out jobs if we give helping advice cause of sue happy idiots there worried if they tell u the wrong thing and ur fish die that u will sue and some dumb judge will let u

There great filters I have 2 ac 50 an ac70 and an ac110 first it takes a few weeks to break in make sure the axle is in all the way take motor off take impeller out put pin up against phone book and push to make sure then make sure there level it sounds dumb but it helps

Just thought I'd chime in with my customer service experience with Hagen. Although I did not call them I used the email contact for help regarding my noisy impeller issue. It almost seemed like they weren't even reading my emails during the exchange (replied to them 4 or 5 times). Each reply included generic responses found in the manual that had nothing to do with my questions. Even some of their questions seemed condescending in the way they were asked, especially the ones that I had included the answers to in previous emails. I really like their products but their lack of help and courtesy to respond to my individual situation without a generic blanket statement was disappointing. I don't think anyone here is knocking those who work in customer service. I also work customer service and there's a difference between being unable to assist someone and just transferring to a voicemail like convict got (or in my case not listening to the question).

After I asked for a supervisor or manager things went ALOT better. I got a replacement part on its way to me!!

I'll ship it out to the OP if they want it.

Well after taking everything apart & wiping down with paper towel & using q tips, I'm still hearing the rattling noise! I've even put a paper towel in between the filter & the tank to see if that would help & it hasn't. So not use to the noise, very sensitive ears. I'm going to call customer service & see what they tell me. Hoping for the best, b/c I've hard so many good things about the filter.

Thank you all again- Nikkie

Your welcome. That stinks. Is it resting correctly against the tank? Can you pinpoint what's making the noise? Is it the top? My tops would rattle, I took the tops off.

I didn't put the top back on once I took everything apart! I did plug it in once i cleaned it to see where the noise was coming from- its the impeller/motor. I also made sure I had everything pushed in correctly & its still making noise. I'll try again this evening.

Back
Top Bottom