Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

vinegar and pH

As an FYI,

Some experts (e.g., Walsted) recommend using vinegar as an easy way to lower pH in a planted tank--but a caution from my own accidental use with non-planted tank: vinegar breaks down into acetic acid which plants eventually can use as carbon dioxide as it further breaks down. Without plants, too much co2 (well if you have to drop the pH as much as I do).

To make matters worse, vinegar to lower pH mixed with bicarbonate soda as an alkaline buffer (which many use) creates 'a volatile form of CARBOLIC acid that quickly precipitates into carbon dioxide'. Yikes.

I lost 5 harlequin rasboras before figuring this out, and almost lost my 5 corys. I'm thinking that they probably survived because of the labyrinth organ.

Now I'm using a smidgen of pH down, until I can slowly acclimate my fish to a higher pH. Can anyone tell me just how high is too high for tropical fish? Tap pH is close to 9 and gh and kh are below 2, and I'd rather avoid r/o expenses if I can...but not at the cost of fish lives. I figure if I can get them used to 7.8 I'll be happy with far less use of chemicals...
JD

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is some interesting tap water you have. a KH of 2 and a PH of 9. I wonder what else is in there acting as a buffer. Have you tried mixing the tap with RO/DI water?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

no, due to $$. Someone told me it's because the city is using phosphates to increase pH, whereas it is naturally soft and acidy.
I know some people add phosphates (yes on purpose), I wonder if this will spare me at least that!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lager View Post
That is some interesting tap water you have. a KH of 2 and a PH of 9. I wonder what else is in there acting as a buffer. Have you tried mixing the tap with RO/DI water?
Exactly my thinking. These are really whacky readings and therefore likely incorrect. This implies a lot of sodium phosphate or organics or something. So I'd say step #1 is:

What test kits are you using? Let's make sure these readings are correct before you add anything more to your water.

PUT THE PH DOWN BOTTLE AWAY! (channeling Mel Brooks).

Did you do that? Good... Let us know eh?

Edited to add: Call your local water district, tell them what you are doing, and ask for their current tests. Most water agencies are pretty forthcoming.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

various liquid reagent kits as I hoped it was a misreading... (API and Hagen, wide range, low and high kits, brand new). These readings aren't new--I've had aquaria for years and it's always been an issue. The local fish stores keep tetras in pH of 6, so I know people are having to do something with their water. I wondered why the hobby wasn't bigger in this city, but I wonder if this might be part of the reason...phophates used in the city water...
How high of a pH is acceptable for tropical fish, anyway?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like the suggestion about contacting the water agent. Thanks! Will do. It's a 40 g tank, so I dread to have to start buying water (esp. without a car).
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsunflower View Post
I like the suggestion about contacting the water agent. Thanks! Will do. It's a 40 g tank, so I dread to have to start buying water (esp. without a car).
Yah, and if you manage to get the lab guy on the phone, he can probably tell you the easiest way to fix it as well. They to water for a living (TM).
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just as a point of disscussion, if phosphate is what is raising the Ph, then would a phosphate filter or something like Phoslock be a reasonable thing to lower the Ph?

Rick
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

People add phosphates to lower the pH. pH down is phosphate based.

If you have just free phosphate (ie add H3PO4), that would buffer the water to pH of 2.4 or so. Other phosphates have differing buffering properties (NaPO4 is around 7.5, eg). At any rate, I think using a phosphate filter is unlikely to change pH much (assuming you have other buffers around.)

jdsunflower - you might try checking the net for your water result. My water co. post water composition tables on the net. One reason your water is that screwy may be due to the water co adding stuff to bring up the pH. Soft water is fairly corrosive to pipes, so the co. brings up the pH with NaOH or other stuff.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think it's all quite so straight forward j... phosphoric acid has pKs at 2 and 12 .. check this out...

Phosphate Buffer Calculator

Plug in a Ph of 9.. takes a fair bit but you can hit it. Obviously depends upon the other ions as well, which we don't know. But the water guy probably does.

This may also be the reason we have trouble explaining high PHs in some of the other discussions.

Tags
vinegar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com