Wall tank....good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I think I'm getting pretty close to starting a large FW planted tank but I'm stuck trying to find a place to put it. I want to go 125+ and I had originally intended on putting it in the living room...but I think there might be too much sunlight coming in from a window across from that location. It could go in the family room (which has less sunlight) but my wife refuses to give up her antique piano which is presently in the spot. This forces me to go to the basement which is only roughly finished..(70's wood paneling). There are a few empty walls that it could go against but since one of the basement walls is shared with a utility room (washer, dryer, sump pump) I'm debating making the tank a wall unit with the tank itself actually sitting in the utility room and facing into the basement living area. The wall I would cut into is only 1/2 inch thick paneling not a full wall so not much construction would be involved. I am figuring this location would make tank maintenance and water changes a breeze since I would be so close to a utility sink and drain, plus I wouldn't be taking up any floor space in the basement. Anyways....to my question...

Is it a smart idea to attempt to do a wall tank like this? If so are there any precautions and or specifics I should consider before I go forward with this idea? Am I better off hunting for a spot on the main floor and just setting up a standard tank even if sunlight may be a slight issue?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with in-wall tanks, but I think they're awesome. I just have an opinion on placement. I think where ever a planted tank will be viewed the most is where it deserves to be, whether its in the living room or basement. You want it somewhere where you can show it off and admire it. I honestly don't think sunlight is the big problem everyone seems to think it is. I did a sunlight-only planted tank (no light fixture) with no algae problems, and most of my other tanks get at least a few hours of sunlight a day. However, a 125 would be really hard to move if sunlight did turn out to be a problem, so if its something you're really worried about then don't listen to me.

or

You could put a tank in each location! Yes, that sounds like the best solution :D

Well, it depends on how well you think it is to clean the tank. Since the tank is surrounded by a wall, the top, back, and sides are surrounded. This means that you will have a very difficult time, or if not impossible, to clean the back. The sides will be slightly easier. However, when you have to lift out the filters or use a gravel vaccum, the space above the tank is the wall, which will make it harder, depending on how the wall will be.

tropicalfish said:
Well, it depends on how well you think it is to clean the tank. Since the tank is surrounded by a wall, the top, back, and sides are surrounded. This means that you will have a very difficult time, or if not impossible, to clean the back. The sides will be slightly easier. However, when you have to lift out the filters or use a gravel vaccum, the space above the tank is the wall, which will make it harder, depending on how the wall will be.

The tank won't be enclosed in the wall on all sides. Basically the tank will be in a "fish room" of sorts and the front will show through a hole in the wall into the living area. (After doing some searching it looks like this is something that a fair number of people have done around here.) All cleaning and plumbing will be done while in the back room making cleaning fairly simple I should think. Also...I was doing some measuring and it looks like the wall I would cut through isn't even a weight bearing one so no danger in cutting the studs...although I'll probably add cross members so the wall doesn't gain too much flex if somebody pushes against it.

if the wall in the basement is 2x4 construction and has paneling on one side then itshouldn't really be load bearing - look above the wall for a beam(sp?) 4x6 most structrual beams run along the middle and from end to end - you can cut the whole out and frame it like a window opening with 2x4 studs and it should make minimal work - as there is no dry wall to repair /paint . You can even finish the visual side with molding (trim) to cover the rough edges . basements are a good idea- as long as they aren't to cold - if you have a basement that is pretty dry - and warmish you should be fine- it should be esp if your wife does the clothes:) dryer would make a nice heater evey couple days:) you can even save money on a stand - if you build it your self as you won't have it in view it can look like crap in others eyes- while in yours it suits what you need- and on top of that - think of the shelfs you can put in there next to the setup to put your supplies on . you can stock up on your supplies - buy a used old fridge put in the laundry to store your live fish food or frozen - conveint - . and so is cleaning - with the sump pump and a sink for easy refill .

sweet-

time to get the saw out :) haha .

Abemas said:
tropicalfish said:

The tank won't be enclosed in the wall on all sides. Basically the tank will be in a "fish room" of sorts and the front will show through a hole in the wall into the living area. (After doing some searching it looks like this is something that a fair number of people have done around here.) All cleaning and plumbing will be done while in the back room making cleaning fairly simple I should think. Also...I was doing some measuring and it looks like the wall I would cut through isn't even a weight bearing one so no danger in cutting the studs...although I'll probably add cross members so the wall doesn't gain too much flex if somebody pushes against it.

okay, cool! That seems like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom