want to get started again![aquarium]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
after a few years of inactivity in my 10 gallong hexagon aqarium, i want to get started again. I need instructions on what i need. I have the pump, heater, and stuff like that... maybe just instructions if i need to cycle or something. i completely forgot what i need. also the conditioner of the water and all the chemical stuff that i might need. Any ideas? glad to be joining this new forum! thanks =]

[center:22dbeaed90] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, blipblop! :n00b: [/center:22dbeaed90]
The only chemical needed in a tank is dechlor or water conditioner--whatever you want to call it, that's all you need!
You will want to cycle the tank, which can be done with straight ammonia (make sure it has no soaps in it).
What fish are you planning on keeping?

I agree with Menagerie.

Also, I LOVE your name! blipblop....kind of sounds like the sound a drip falling into a filled bucket of water....

i have absolutely no idea what fish there are as i am trying to expand my hobbies. usually i would go into a pet store and point what fish looks cool, but i'm going to spend some time on fish cause my other hobbies include computers and cars... and i've always loved fish... any suggestions, i'm in MA btw if that makes any difference.. haha

The best advise I could give you is to take a trip to your local fish store and pick out some fish you like.
Then write down their names, go home and do as much research on them over the internet as you can.
Make sure the ones you pick are compatable with each other and all are able to be kept in your tap water conditions.
Good Luck
:D

i need massive help on this "cycling" business.. i've been reading,around on the forums, but this idea is still vERY new to me... o boy..

hey blipblop, welcome to AA.

The "quick and dirty" version of cycling goes like this. When you put your fish in there, they create waste (ammonia), and when you feed them, any uneaten food sits at the bottom of the tank (ammonia). Ammonia can build up VERY fast and the water will become toxic, and burn their fins and gills.

After some time the correct bacteria will grow to convert the ammonia into nitrite. Nitrite is less toxic than ammonia, however is still very toxic.

Once again, over time, the correct bacteria will grow to conver the nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is the least toxic of them all, and is the end of the cycle. At this point the only thing you can do is water changes to get the nitrates down.

And there you go, your cycle is complete. Now the trick is you want this all done BEFORE you put fish in, so that they don't have to suffer through the burning ammonia and nitrite. So the most humane way is fishless cycling. Because you can't just setup your tank and let it run for a week and expect it to cycle, there needs to be a source of ammonia to start the process. So you can either add actual straight ammonia, or a common method is putting a fresh shrimp from the grocery store in the tank.

I believe both methods are talked about in the articles section (link at the top of the page). Good luck!

-brent

lol well, you would prolly need about a teaspoon of pure amonia... no additives etc. and dump it in the tank... it'll take a couple weeks, but after a while you should start growing bacteria which will help to get rid of the amonia. (You'll need to buy some tests for it). You nitrite should then go up... and then back down to zero. During this time try and keep your amonia betwe 3-6 ppm. ... once your nitrite peaks... and goes back down to zero do at least a 50% water change on your tank... and then add fish. :) There's more steps if you want to add plants... but I don't have live plants... so I couldn't tell ya. I'm in the midst of a fishless cycle at the moment... but I'm going off what my boyfriend is having me do... so if any of that is incorrect I'm sry, and maybe someone can correct my methods :p

Everything sounds good to me - definitely read the article section here for info about cycling, and also do a search on that word and read some threads related to the topic. As you might imagine, it is a thoroughly discussed topic!

Going fishless to cycle is so much easier because you are not stressing over the health of your fish and it goes faster because you don't have to do the water changes you do while you have fish. It also forces you to plan very carefully what you put in there. You migh find you change your mind a time or two during the cycle.

A 10-gal is easy to overload with fish, so look for something you like and post back. A dwarf gourami with several small tetras and maybe a trio of cory cats would be an example, and also what Bunebop has in her sig is another similar option.

Welcome to AA, and I am glad you are getting back into it!

Once you get it cycled you'll never forget how to do it again. Then watch out because MTS is sure to follow.

Here is a handy chart:

ok here are my steps so far....

1. clean out my gravel my filter and tank....
2. rinse, wash and make sure everything is nice and clean....
3. buy a nitrate test kit and an ammonia test kit.....
4. fill up my 10gallon tank with tap water....
5. how much ammonia should i put in... and when do i keep adding? do i add it all at once or once in a while...
6.how often should i test, what am i missing?
7. cycle until my water is is what...?

You'll also need a nitrite test.
You cycle until ammonia, and nitrite is 0 (or darn close) and nitrates are rising. Nitrates are basically plant fertilizer and most fish can tolerate up to 40ppm.

i need a new filter.. it seems mine is old and it has so much gunk on it and stuff and a little pice of the water intake is kind of cracked... so yea.. i should invest in a new one... any suggestions? this is only for a small little 10 gallon hexagon tank, thanks! there is so much white gunk around my old tank it's taking me ages to clean out o_O ideas?

Penguin Mini would work, and is narrow enough that it would fit on one panel of the hex, I believe. A Penguin 125 would be better, if it will fit.

there is so much white gunk around my old tank it's taking me ages to clean out o_O ideas?
8O Bummer. I have one idea for the cleaning, but if you are using strong cleaners, you must rinse very well! Have you tried a razor, as though scraping algae??

i'm just using soap and water and i'm going to use a razor in a lkittle bit, it wasn't so bad =] and should i get the penguin mini? i'm not sure the penguin 125 would fit.. i can't wait to get this thing and start to get it cycling hehe i'm so excited.

Try some vinegar on the white stuff, assuming it is hard water deposits. Let it sit a bit and it should loosen. CLR or Limeaway will probably work, also, but you gotta really take care to get it rinsed away.

I think the mini will be your best bet, considering the configuration of the tank, and it has a biowheel on it - I am happy with mine.

Back
Top Bottom