Want to try and add something else.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdepriest6009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 25g high and was thinking of adding some more friends to it currently I have:

2 tiger barbs
1 eclipse catfish (only about 1-1/2" long)
1 panguious catfish (only about 1" long)
1 algae eater

I know that I'm going to need a bigger tank for the two cats and when they get bigger I'm going to be out of my current apartment and in a house were I can have a sufficient tank for them. I know I want some more tigers as well since they do better in groups of 5 or more right? Is there anything else that I maybe be able t add to the tank any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yeah more barbs is a good start. You could actually get another school of 5-6 fish. Maybe another school of barbs or some rasboras.

I really wouldn't add anything but more tiger barbs.

Those cats will grow, and grow fast.

Would 5 barbs be enough and would I have to get just tigers or could I look into some other barbs. Would they intermingle with the tigers.

You could get green moss barbs, which are colour variation of the usual Tiger barbs.

Well I don't have a petco close to me but I have petsmart and all the tigers there are about a 1/4 the size of mine.

Where greens might work out with Tigers, your existing Tigers need to school with other Tigers, even if they are a little smaller.

K well it's going to have wait til payday but I'm looking into them.

And I know you said not to really add anything else but I was just wondering what about 1 blue guramari I love the looks of them and was wanting to try to get variety in the tank just a thought is all I really don't wanna overload my tank to much since I know that some of the fish will outgrow the tank.

I'm glad to hear that you're aware that your two catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus and Horabagrus brachysoma) are going to need a bigger tank as they grow. I find myself wondering if you realize how MUCH bigger! Your Pangasius can reach 4 feet in length and a weight of nearly 100 pounds in the wild and your Horabagrus can reach to about 18 inches (not quite as gigantic). They both look really cute in their smaller sizes but very often they die prematurely when kept in home aquaria.

As for adding a blue gourami...your aquarium could probably handle a pair of them without too much trouble.

-Joe

Yes I do know how big they can get and they are both still very small my wife bought them from petsmart for me for Christmas and they lie and the tags. I have already got plans for a bigger tank for them when they start to get bigger. How big of a tank do you think I would need for them as a final tank and how fast do they grow to be that size.

Thanks for all the advise

A fish's growth rate depends on a number of factors...the fish's overall health, the quantity and quality of the food it receives, the fish's age and the fish's environment. Chances are that both of your catfish are young which means that they will likely grow fairly quickly if given a nutritious diet. Of course...keeping them in a relatively small aquarium will slow them down quite a bit. In the wild, Pangasius tends to be a very active, schooling catfish primarily found in rivers. It would be virtually impossible to provide it with a tank of the right size in a home environment (I read one article that mentions that you would need an aquarium that is 40 feet long...yes...FEET...to make it truly comfortable). Unfortunately, it is also highly unlikely that your Pangasius catfish will ever approach its 'normal' full size under aquarium conditions.

-Joe

Ok so if I understand it right I will need to have a river in my livingroom to keep that fish. I don't think that my apartment manager might not approve of that lol

The tiger barbs seem to do best in odd numbered groups of five or more. They do shoal best with groups of their own type and seem happier that way. I had albinos mixed with the tigers and they separated a bunch. I just took the albinos out and put them in my daughters' tank and added more tigers to my school to make it 9 and they're all back together swimming around. :)

Bud said:
The tiger barbs seem to do best in odd numbered groups of five or more. They do shoal best with groups of their own type and seem happier that way. I had albinos mixed with the tigers and they separated a bunch. I just took the albinos out and put them in my daughters' tank and added more tigers to my school to make it 9 and they're all back together swimming around. :)

Cool thanks I was almost thinking about gettin some albinos but now I think I will go with just plain tigers.

Back
Top Bottom