wanted:Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well my 15 gal tank has had ich and destroyed my puffers as i said before but now i am going to do something else withj the tank.

1.start all over, alot of work but ill be sure its all gone

2. boil substrate clean off rocks.

3. do nothing becasue i dont see anymore ich

what would u do?

Well there should be no need to do anything you have listed. I would let the tank run farrow (without any fish) for 2-4 weeks. That way the ich will have no host and die off.

Bump the temp up to 86-88 and let it run for 2-3 weeks, then bring the temp back down. Then add a few fish after the 2-3 weeks and see how things go. Don't add a bunch at once. Ick should be gone for sure then.

yes. Be sure to add a bubble stone of some sort though. Higher temperatures reduce the amount of oxygen in the water (even though it is only one tetra in the tank)

Slowly ... over 6 hour periods, raise your temperature up to 88F (faster raising will kill your fish just as fast)

yes. Be sure to add a bubble stone of some sort though. Higher temperatures reduce the amount of oxygen in the water (even though it is only one tetra in the tank)

Are you sure about that?I would think that higher temps would have more dissolved oxygen because the higher tempratures allow a higher content of dissolved materials in the water.

yea some puffers suffer diseases from not being in BW since it weaken their immune system making them vulnerable.I also heard adding a little bit of salt will kill ich bateriums.

Scottm said:

Are you sure about that?I would think that higher temps would have more dissolved oxygen because the higher tempratures allow a higher content of dissolved materials in the water.

High temp=less dissolved O2

You know how the water around the equator is blue? Thats cause its dead. No O2 for organisms.

Yes, higher temps means less oxygen, as oxygen more readily leaves the water. So even with 1 tetra, use an airstone. :)

You know how the water around the equator is blue? Thats cause its dead. No O2 for organisms.

Not No O2, just much much less O2. There are still living creatures even at the equator, but are more adapted to the particular water conditions there.

Here's how I turn my temp up. On your heater, turn it up a tick or 2, then let it sit 3-4 hours. Then turn it up another tick or 2, sit another 3-4 hours. I usually will have the temp up to 86 degrees in 1 day. And no ill effects to the fish. Do the same to bring the temp down.

If the tank is brackish by means of marine salt, the pleco and most likely the tetras should be dead. Definately the Pleco should be. They can not tolerate salt. Tetras are definately not brackish fish.

Back
Top Bottom