Wanting to start an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mare_226

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had an aquarium several years ago, 20 gallon fresh water but my parents took care of it. I still have this tank, and am wanting to start an aquarium again. I have been taking Biology classes in college and have become more fascinated with marine biology. I would really like to start a saltwater aquarium, as I want reefs and live invertebrates, as well as fish. I have been reading on salt water aquariums, but have not come across anything that is helpful as far as testing and the chemistry of the water. I am also wondering, is it a bad idea to start out with salt water as opposed to fresh? PLEASE help!!?? I just don't even know where to start. What fish to buy? How many? How far to space the introductions out? Nitrates? etc..there is so much I need to learn! :confused:
Please, and thank you!

Meredith

I moved this thread to the Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started forum. You will get more answers here. Welcome to AA, and good luck!

HI and welcome!

I don't know anything about saltwater tanks but I think they're more of a challenge than freshwater. Depends on how much time and money you can invest and what sort of fish you ultimately want to have. Before you buy anything though, be sure to cycle your tank. This guide will help: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html You can also read some of the posts on the saltwater forum. Good luck!

Go saltwater, I think the fish look WAY nicer than fresh, plus you can get beautiful coral. It is not very much tougher than fresh. When you think about it, the only difference is the salt.

Back
Top Bottom