Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to zero2dash Send a message via Yahoo to zero2dash
Warmer temps: good or bad?

Man this is such a n00b question I feel like a doofus

I know usual tank temp should be 78-80, and most people when they have an ich outbreak raise the temp to 82-85. After my last ich outbreak a year ago, I had seen some people saying they leave their tank temp around 82-85 all the time in order to help keep ich from developing. I know some fish prefer warmer temps (this article says discus prefer higher temps).

What I'm wondering is - is it harmful for fish to keep the temps higher than the "average range"...? I'm looking for a balance I guess...I want to do what I can to prevent ich (I already added salt a long time ago as well) but I don't want to weaken/stress my fish out with temps they don't tolerate well. My fish seem happy and ok with it though...I'll be buying more fish in the coming weeks but right now the ones I have appear to be fine with it (2 gouramis and 1 pleco, I had a male betta for 9 months before he died this past weekend...and my larger blue gourami has been alive for over 2 1/2 years).

Should I lower the temp temporarily/permanently either now or when I get the new fish, or is it ok to leave it be?

Thanks in advance, sheesh I feel like such a n00b
Then again this is the first time out of 20+ years of aquaria that I've raised the temp above 78 so I guess I can plead "first time ignorance" on the matter.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Metabolic rates and oxygen consumption increase with temperature, while O2 saturation decreases. This doesnt necessarily mean its a bad idea, depending on oxygenation methods (agitation/pumps/plants) and fish and I'm sure other factors. I recall reading Gourami profiles where the temperature recommendation reached the low 80s. JMO (only a fishkeeper for ~7months, and have not had ich), but I think it would be wiser to get a qt for your new fish instead of raising temp and adding salt to the tank beforehand.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed czcz. While raising the temp of a healthy tank, or one that has parasitic problems probably won't harm the fish at all, certain bacteria can flourish at higher temps. IMO, one is always best to heat the tank to the fishes normal comfort range and no more.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

One other consideration is that you will shorten the life of some fish in water that is warmer than their preference. An example is guppys, If you want them to grow fast, keep them in wrmer water. Ifyou keep them at room temperature, they will live a year or more longer. The higher metabolic rate at the elevated temp will burn them out sooner.Guppys will do quite well at 68 to 72 F, they just grow a little slower.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com