was given a used 30 gallon including fish- Need to get it home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyanne280

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused:Hello, I was given a 30 gallon tank with full setup, including 5 fish. Freshwater~ I need to get it home any suggestions how to do this?
I did resaerch online reguarding new tanks and said I have to let it filter and run for 1 week before adding fish to my tank.. Do I have to do that if the fish are coming from the same tank?
I am sorry I am completely new with owning a tank etc..
Thank you for your help

What kind of fish?

I had to move a 20 gallon tank across town once... I put everything in a bucket, emptied half the water, left the other half of the water, and the fish in it, and drove *very* carefully. Total drive time was only 20 minutes, and putting the tank back together was the very first thing I did. Fish were only slightly disgruntled, but came through it fine... (A pair of blue discus)

That was about 15 years ago, though.. For all I know, someone invented some new and improved system.

What kind of fish?

I had to move a 20 gallon tank across town once... I put everything in a bucket, emptied half the water, left the other half of the water, and the fish in it, and drove *very* carefully. Total drive time was only 20 minutes, and putting the tank back together was the very first thing I did. Fish were only slightly disgruntled, but came through it fine... (A pair of blue discus)

That was about 15 years ago, though.. For all I know, someone invented some new and improved system.

There are a few Neon Tetras, couple of other Tetras (one that looks like an Angel fish), 3 Guppies, and a large Pleco
Did you take out the stones etc?

Last edited:
Is this tank established? If so keep the gravel wet and also the filter media. Put the fish into buckets with tank water. Unless you think you can keep them in the tank with the ride. But IMO a 30g tank would be way to heavy to lift with water unless you had male help lifting it into the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Is this tank established? If so keep the gravel wet and also the filter media. Put the fish into buckets with tank water. Unless you think you can keep them in the tank with the ride. But IMO a 30g tank would be way to heavy to lift with water unless you had male help lifting it into the house.

Yes the tank is established.. for a few years. Sorry this may sound dumb~ but what is the filter media? I never had a tank of my own and I am not familar with the terminology of things yet... :roll:

the filter media is the filter cartridge inside the filter...keep it wet as the good bacteria is residing in it, as well as the gravel..

So how long do I have to wait once I set it back up before I can replace the fish? Do Ihave to use any chemicals to balance the water? Do I save all the water or some and fill with tap???

You shouldn't have to wait at all. It's established and as long and you keep everything wet it will just be like a large water change. You should use a water conditioner that gets rid of chlorine like prime when you re fill with tap water. You can find it at your local fish store. You don't have to save the water just use the water you use to keep the filter media and gravel wet. Then put prime into the tank then the tap water.

once you set it up, you can just change the water from the tap but don't forget to put a dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is mostly recommended) to take the chlorine out of the tap water. You can replace the fish with some of the old water tank, then add the tap water (with the prime). Try to match the water temperature though so the fishes will not be so stressed.

daileene said:
once you set it up, you can just change the water from the tap but don't forget to put a dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is mostly recommended) to take the chlorine out of the tap water. You can replace the fish with some of the old water tank, then add the tap water (with the prime). Try to match the water temperature though so the fishes will not be so stressed.

Yes +1 for matching temp forgot that.

Is the pleco a common pleco? If so you need to rehome it and look into a smaller one like a bristlenose, as common plecos need 125 gallons AT LEAST! And even that's pushing it! They can grow to be 2 feet long also, whereas bristlenoses stay a perfect 6 inches. Ideal for a thirty gallon tank.

missyanne280 said:
Should I clean the tank etc before setting back up? it seems to be clean now.. Pleco doing a great job,...lol

No of it looks clean I would let it be

Is the pleco a common pleco? If so you need to rehome it and look into a smaller one like a bristlenose, as common plecos need 125 gallons AT LEAST! And even that's pushing it! They can grow to be 2 feet long also, whereas bristlenoses stay a perfect 6 inches. Ideal for a thirty gallon tank.

I am not sure but I will find out tomorrow.. I have only seen a few pictures. I will have a good look at all the fish tomorrow. I will let you know.

Thank you! :)

OK so I saw the pleco today and the person that I am getting the tank & fish from doesnt know what kind it is... she said she just went to the store and bought a algae eater.. From looking at it, it is about 6 inches long and only has 2 little bristles or tentacles which ever you want to call them, one on each side near its bottom lip. no very long. And it doesnt have anymore on its head.
By looking at the pictures online.. I am kinda thinking it is a common :-/
833-298-843-166-82899.jpg
this is basically what it looks like.. the website is saying it is a common...
images

What do I do now??

Back
Top Bottom