Washing Your Hands...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do a water change of about 80%. Your Nitrates are probably pretty high up there. Then when acclimating don't add the bag water to the tank. Have you still been adding ammonia since the tank became officially cycled?

I agree with fishy, don't add the foreign tank water into your tank. You don't know whats in it! I net all of my fish after acclimating. Make sure you keep feeding the bacteria until you get some fish in there.

Yeah I have been adding ammonia in the tank daily since the tank finished cycling...its weird though because my nitrates are generally really low some days i have them, most days i dont...could that be because of my plants?

as far as washing my hands I use water and dry off with a blow torch set at medium rare. ;)

"Do a water change of about 80%."....Fishyfanatic, that is a really big water change....Why not dump the whole tank and start form scratch?

Wouldn't a water change that big require that the make up water be treated and aged to attempt matching the conditions that will not shock the fish and bio system?....When doing big water changes (25% to 100%) much consideration must be made for the shock value of the new water.

If I hadn't handled any pesticides or chemicals that day (I'm a Pest Control Operator, lol), I'll only use really hot water for several minutes. If I have handled anything toxic,
I wash my hands with soap, then rinse until I'm sure all the soap is gone......then I rinse some more.

"Do a water change of about 80%."....Fishyfanatic, that is a really big water change....Why not dump the whole tank and start form scratch?

Wouldn't a water change that big require that the make up water be treated and aged to attempt matching the conditions that will not shock the fish and bio system?....When doing big water changes (25% to 100%) much consideration must be made for the shock value of the new water.

I disagree.

I do weekly 50% water changes on my tank. As long as the temperature is within 2 degrees of the tank temp and as long as the water has been treated with a de-chlor, there has been absolutley no ill affects. Infact the fish seem to love it.

A large water change is required because when you are doing a fishless cycle you are repeatidly dosing ammonia. The nitrates are not removed so they just keep building up. You end up having sky high Nitrates. Before adding new fish to the tank you need to perform a large water change to remove the high levels of nitrates.

Since you are cycling with plants in the tank, test the Nitrates and be sure they are roughly 10 before acclimation. If they are higher, go ahead and do a change. I say 10 because that's a nice low number. If it's 15, nbd.

I do weekly water changes of at least 50%. We do 75% in the 150 Cichlid. Water does not need to age. Simply add a dechlor. The only reason why people used to age water was to remove chlorine. Many water suppliers are using chloramines now. They are not removed through aging so dechlor is required anyway.

Regarding the fish shock, this is a new tank. There will not be fish in the tank to shock. When doing this to an established tank, its not as big of a deal either as long as you are adding fresh water. It's similar to acclimating fish to a new tank. I agree with jcar, my fish actually enjoy swimming through the fresh water when I am syphoning it into the tank. And it's untreated. While filling with the Python I add dechlor but the water going into the tank isn't actually treated yet.

I found out the hard way, if you're going to be rooting around a the bottom of the tank, like moving plants around, you need to wash all the way up to the upper arm area. All the skin that goes into the tank has to be clean.

I wash down with soap, rinse, then use vinegar to take off the skin oil. Then I rinse well again before getting into the tank. Since I started this I don't get the oil slick on top of the water.

Ruadh makes an excellent point. When my husband does tank maintenance on the 150 he showers beforehand. It's a 150T so the water line runs up his entire arm. Instead of hosing him off in the yard he just takes a shower. Easier that way. :)

As for the original queston.... I hardly every wash my hands as I am afraid of the soap getting in the tank. I find my self MANY times walking by the tank and seeing something that needs adjusting and sticking my hand in. If I have been around or touching anything that I think is toxic or harmful, Ill rinse my hands with water only.... but I have never had problems with contaminating the tank.

well.....unless you tank is really shallow, water will contact your hands anyway. They make long gloves for this, and seel them on fostersmith.com if you want that. But, there's nothing wrong w/ stickin' your hands in there if they're contaminant free

Back
Top Bottom