Water change????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are your nitrite and nitrate levels? I'm doing a fish in cycle right now too and my nitrites are high atm. Anytime you have ammo or nitrite above .25 change some water. When nitrates are above 20 change water then too.

Yes, why wait for it to rise. The key to keeping aquariums is good maintenance routine. Why stress the fish.

Because during a fish in cycle the water change frequency is usually more often than when the tank is established. So most just recommend doing wc at elevated levels. There is not a magic threshold number across the board, so there's a little wiggle room for those that research toxicity charts.

My levels are as follows
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 6.8

Not a lot happening. Have a 165 gallon(uk). Have 3 platy, 4 phantom tetra and 8 tiny tetra neon + 1 bigger tetra neon.
Did a water change yesterday about 30%.
Thank you everyone for your help x

LOL! Because I am a worrier. I would just know that my aquarium water is ok throughout the day. My disclaimer is that I keep Black Moors and goldfish produce much more waste. I cycled my fist tank Moore in.....and I changed the water almost 2x a day. I was just thinking that if you can prevent a bad reading before it happens go for it.

Thanx fish babies! Sticking to a routine is far superior than playing numbers game. Plus, it can't hurt getting on a routine. That's just what I would do.

Oldspice said:
My levels are as follows
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 6.8

Not a lot happening. Have a 165 gallon(uk). Have 3 platy, 4 phantom tetra and 8 tiny tetra neon + 1 bigger tetra neon.
Did a water change yesterday about 30%.
Thank you everyone for your help x

Considering the downright hugeness of the tank you have a very small bio load in it. It may take a while before you see a build up of ammonia. Stick to your maintenance routine and let your tests tell you if you need to do an off schedule water change.

My Fish Babies. said:
LOL! Because I am a worrier. I would just know that my aquarium water is ok throughout the day. My disclaimer is that I keep Black Moors and goldfish produce much more waste. I cycled my fist tank Moore in.....and I changed the water almost 2x a day. I was just thinking that if you can prevent a bad reading before it happens go for it.

Your dedication is commendable. The readings aren't the issue, the toxin levels are, and you can't remove a toxin buildup until it exists. That's just my take on it though.

I agree with Jeta. Test the water daily and if ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25-.5 do a water change(s) to get them down. If levels are reading 0 there's no need to do anything. Vacuum the substrate once or twice per week as well since decaying waste and food can contribute to toxin levels also. With that small of a load in such a large tank it could take some time for levels to rise.

Back
Top Bottom