Water Change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griff5499

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is about 3 weeks up now. I have been doing pwc to keep ammonia down. Today I took tests and the attached photo is what I have. Should I do a pwc to bring down the ammonia? Or will this screw up my cycle? Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 50
Picture of my tank

Pics of my tank 36 gal bowfront

Attachments

• IMAG00076.jpg
    IMAG00076.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG00017.jpg
    IMAG00017.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 43
You are cycling with fish correct?

If so I would change about 50%, the ammonia test looks pretty green. The purple color your nitrite test is showing when I typically change water. If it's dark blue I leave it, any purple I do a PWC. I've noticed my fish will sometimes gasp at the surface when the test comes up purple.

PWC's won't affect your cycle as long as you use a dechlorinator.

I just performed a 50% water change. I also put some sponges in my filter to catch bb so when I change out the main cartridge, I will still have bb. Sound good? I will take more readings in about 30 minutes.

Yep that sounds good.

I'm not sure about having gold fish in with tropical fish, I would think their temperature ranges are too far apart. Maybe a more experienced member can chime in.

Gold fish do have a large bio load. Mollies do as well but they are far below gold fish. Having a large bio load while you are cycling is not ideal, it will require a lot of water changes to keep your levels in an acceptable range. You've already experienced some of this dealing with ammonia, it may become more difficult when it comes to nitrites though.

Cool tank btw!

Since your doing a fish in cycle you will need to change the water almost everyday. Make sure you test daily as well. You also have nitrites which are very toxic to fish and I would definetly do a 50% waterchange and retest in a few hours. Yes its gonna slow your cycle down a bit but you have fish and need to tend to them first and foremost.

Yeah I gave the goldfish to a friend who has a goldfish tank. My ammonia was running 1.0 before. I have mollies, platies and tetras now. I did a pwc and now my ammonia is at .25, no nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates.

Yeah I gave the goldfish to a friend who has a goldfish tank. My ammonia was running 1.0 before. I have mollies, platies and tetras now. I did a pwc and now my ammonia is at .25, no nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates.

That's perfect for now. Just recheck tomorrow and if its .50ppm or higher do a waterchange. If there is no ammonia and there are nitrites definetly do a water change

Back
Top Bottom