Water change and now nitrite gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

car50n

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently cycling tank with a few fish Have a wee bit of ammonia which I used ammo lock to de-toxify been going like this for six weeks but I have got up this morning and fish are at the top of the tank, tested the water and I now nitrite which I am happy about as it means my cycle is on its best stage, I done 40% water change to bring the levels down so that my fish are happy again but I re tested the water and now I have no nitrite! Is this bad???

It will be back! Best thing is to keep those fish safe and as comfy as possible throughout the cycle.

Nope not bad at all, you did well. Ammonia is converted to nitrite which is converted to nitrate. Ammonia will always be present in the tank as it comes from fish waste, so ammonia will continue to be converted to nitrite, so it'll show up again quickly. Just keep on top of water changes to keep the fish safe; a good rule is to not let ammonia and/or nitrite get above .25-.5. Once the tank cycles, the bacteria will be able to handle the ammonia and nitrite so you won't see it anymore and it will be converted so fast it won't affect the fish.

Nitrite vs Nitrate

I read your post and it looks like you meant to say that you now have "NitrATES" and after the WC, your NitrITES are not showing on the test.

"tested the water and I now nitrite"

If that is the case, congrats on the NitrATES and Brooks, is right the nitrITES will be back. Soon.

I learned on here from more experienced people that the % of your WC is directly related to the reduction in toxic elements.

If you are at 1ppm of something, doing a 50% wc takes it to .5ppm.

BUT, it is better to let your new water integrate with the 'original for an hour or 2 if you need to do a subsequent 50%.

This, I believe, is the correct way to reduce your toxicity a significant amount.

Someone correct me if this is not the case.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom