Water Changers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking into deciding how to do water changes and have been looking at the Aqueon tap to aquarium system. I have also been watching the DIY set ups that have some appeal versus the cost of ones on the market.

I would need 30 -35 feet top get to the source water. Will be used for a 65 gal tall tank.

Which way would you proceed? Any comments welcomed and appreciated.

For filling and draining?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use the bucket method so stuck in the dark ages, but I love the control it gives... Although doing large water changes on the big tank is definitely an undertaking!

I use the bucket method so stuck in the dark ages, but I love the control it gives... Although doing large water changes on the big tank is definitely an undertaking!

Hah!!! Bucket method.. you plebian:p I use the bucket method on my betta tank. Otherwise I flip switches and relax to the melodic hum of pumps. I can do 50%wc on my 75 in 10 minutes without breaking a sweat, unless it's summer time.. than I break a sweat just thinking of breaking a sweat.. yah... sweating is a problem for me in the summer.. but water changes are not!!

Hah!!! Bucket method.. you plebian:p I use the bucket method on my betta tank. Otherwise I flip switches and relax to the melodic hum of pumps. I can do 50%wc on my 75 in 10 minutes without breaking a sweat, unless it's summer time.. than I break a sweat just thinking of breaking a sweat.. yah... sweating is a problem for me in the summer.. but water changes are not!!

Lol

One day I will get with the times but carrying 35L (2-3x) of water through each week is certainly toning my arms up nicely for my wedding in July

Go bucket method!!

I mean.. the python system is solid. I have a major issue with using the pressure from faucet for draining. It wastes so much water in a hobby that revolves around wasting water. You can get a submersible pump for draining on amazon for cheap money.

I mean.. the python system is solid. I have a major issue with using the pressure from faucet for draining. It wastes so much water in a hobby that revolves around wasting water. You can get a submersible pump for draining on amazon for cheap money.

I was wondering about how much water it would take to prime it, especially over 30+ feet.

Gave a slap to the side of my head, as I hadn't thought of a pump! Thanks.

I was wondering about how much water it would take to prime it, especially over 30+ feet.

Gave a slap to the side of my head, as I hadn't thought of a pump! Thanks.
You're going to blow 100 gallons on siphoning alone..terrible imo

You're going to blow 100 gallons on siphoning alone..terrible imo

Ouch .....would not have thought it would be that much. Nearly made a mistake, nearly but didn't.

What does your set-up look like and do you use it for draining and filling.

I am very excited about making water changes easier. Some sort of system would compel me to regularly do them while manually I would be lazy. I just know it and me!

I have an inline 250gph pump for draining, it's hooked up to a wall switch and hose. Drains into the sink for now, eventually it will go to a holding tank outside for outdoor watering. Filling comes from a 55gal water barrel containing 2 pumps, 300gph and 600gph for filling the larger tanks.

I use a Python to drain and fill my tanks. It's hooked up so it drains down to about ankle height. Once I start the siphon, I turn off the water. Usually takes, I dunno, 20 seconds? So it doesn't have to be a water hog, unless you are trying to push water uphill.

Also a fan of the Python, and I also turn the water off after the siphon starts. Then I wind the hose from the sink so all of the water goes in the tank. Love it.

Thanks for the last two positive comments on the Python. How do you think this will work over 30 ft? It seems to be very popular but I wondered whether it would prime and continue on its own with out a constant prime.

And is doing a 4-6 gallon water change each day as effective as doing one 50% change a week?

Thank you.

Keeping the prime only depends on keeping air out of the hose. Distance isn't an issue.

Whether it will continue without running water depends on the water level of the tank being higher than the faucet.

Smaller water changes more often can be very good for a tank.

I remember when python got popular. Is was a glorious time lol.

Back
Top Bottom