Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boadams87 said:
I just add the prime and turn the water on and keep feeling with my hand until im close to the temp. I've gone as far as to make marks on the wall to the exact point that the temp needs to be. Its almost idiot proof!!!!

Lol. "almost" haha.

The python comes with a valve on one end of the hose that attaches to your faucet. When you turn the faucet on the knob on the bottom of the valve when open causes suction at the other end of the hose and thats how your remove water from your tank. When your finished turn off the faucet, take the hose out of the tank, add dechlor to your tank. Turn the faucet back on and adjust the temp of the water with hot and cold water. When the water temp feels the same as the tank water put the other end of the hose back in the tank, close the knob at the bottom of the valve and the water will go into your tank refilling it. Really easy you need to get one.

Daxhua said:
The python comes with a valve on one end of the hose that attaches to your faucet. When you turn the faucet on the knob on the bottom of the valve when open causes suction at the other end of the hose and thats how your remove water from your tank. When your finished turn off the faucet, take the hose out of the tank, add dechlor to your tank. Turn the faucet back on and adjust the temp of the water with hot and cold water. When the water temp feels the same as the tank water put the other end of the hose back in the tank, close the knob at the bottom of the valve and the water will go into your tank refilling it. Really easy you need to get one.

Thanks! That really cleared it up. I want one, but not sure it'll be useful just yet since the nearest sink is downstairs and around a corner :(

College Kid said:
Thanks! That really cleared it up. I want one, but not sure it'll be useful just yet since the nearest sink is downstairs and around a corner :(

I would recommend getting the Aquon water changer. It is cheaper and better quality.

Well, I gave it a go. I don't have a water changer so went for the old-fashioned Jugs, Bucket and Swearing technique! After feeding my fish I switched everything off, emptied 20% into the bucket I had bought just for PWC's, emptied it and then did as some people suggested - mixed hot and cold water from the tap until it reached 24 degrees, which was probably the most annoying part. I took a PH test and it read 7.2, which I thought would be ok to add to the tank straightaway. I then mixed some Dechlor in and left it to settle for a few minutes before adding it all back to the tank. The only thing that went really wrong was that when I added it back I didn't do it gently enough and the sand at the bottom of the tank splashed up a bit, but that settled back down after a few minutes.

Having read that, how do you think I did? Any pointers for next time?

Rjoepenk said:
Well, I gave it a go. I don't have a water changer so went for the old-fashioned Jugs, Bucket and Swearing technique! After feeding my fish I switched everything off, emptied 20% into the bucket I had bought just for PWC's, emptied it and then did as some people suggested - mixed hot and cold water from the tap until it reached 24 degrees, which was probably the most annoying part. I took a PH test and it read 7.2, which I thought would be ok to add to the tank straightaway. I then mixed some Dechlor in and left it to settle for a few minutes before adding it all back to the tank. The only thing that went really wrong was that when I added it back I didn't do it gently enough and the sand at the bottom of the tank splashed up a bit, but that settled back down after a few minutes.

Having read that, how do you think I did? Any pointers for next time?

Do you have a ladder or something that will allow you to place the bucket higher than the tank? If so, you can siphon the water back in not not have the big splash or have to hold a big bucket full of water up.

blert said:
Do you have a ladder or something that will allow you to place the bucket higher than the tank? If so, you can siphon the water back in not not have the big splash or have to hold a big bucket full of water up.

You could also put a plate on the bottom and pour out the water from the bucket onto the sumerged plate

Back
Top Bottom